Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Fair Hill Boarding School records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-SC-036

Abstract

This collection includes manuscripts relating to the establishment of Fair Hill Boarding School by the Baltimore Yearly Meeting. Included are documents concerning the purchase of land, distribution of the Fair Hill Fund, and lists of rules for Westtown and Nine Partners Boarding Schools. These materials reflect Quaker views of education and their objectives in the establishment of Quaker schools. Especially interesting is a letter from Ann King relating the efforts of Nine Partners School to maintain Quaker values. Other correspondents include John Ellicott, William Morsell, Caleb Bentley, and Whitson Canby.

Dates

  • 1815-1869

Creator

Restrictions on Access

This collection is available for research use.

Biographical / Historical

Fair Hill Boarding School was opened by Baltimore Yearly Meeting in 1819 to provide for a "guarded education" for Quaker youth. The school was suspended in 1825, and the property finally sold in 1865.

Extent

.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (1 folder.))

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source of acquisition--Gift of. Method of acquisition--Bliss Forbush; Date of acquisition--1979.

Creator

Description rules
Archives, Personal Papers, And Manuscripts (Appm)
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA