Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Collection of John Melchior Ogden papers

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-SC-171

Abstract

This collection consists of the papers of John Melchior Ogden, including newspaper clippings, letters and receipts, as well as notices from charitable associations such as the Carpenters' Company and the House of Refuge. Also included are letters to Charles Smith Ogden regarding the book, In Memoriam John Melchior Ogden, as well as reminiscences of Philadelphia in 1800 by Jesse Ogden, and an engraving of Fairhill Meeting House by Joseph Pennell.

Dates

  • 1825-1885

Creator

Restrictions on Access

This collection is available for research use.

Biographical / Historical

John Ogden (1791-1882) was a Quaker builder and architect of Philadelphia. He was a founder or member of many local charitable organizations, including the Apprentices' Library, the Carpenters Company, and the House of Refuge. His brother, Jesse (1786-1864) was also a Philadelphia Quaker. His son, Charles Smith, published his memorial.

Extent

.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (2 folders.))

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source of acquisition--Carmen D. Valentino. Method of acquisition--Purchased from; Date of acquisition--1995.

Creator

Description rules
Archives, Personal Papers, And Manuscripts (Appm)
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA