Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason collected records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-SC-218

Abstract

This collection contains information sent to Tyler Williams, agent for Shrewsbury Monthly Meeting, N.J., concerning the Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason. It includes the proposal for the Asylum, announcement of its opening, an admission certificate, and other circulars that were sent to meetings under the care of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.

Dates

  • 1812-1831

Creator

Language of Material

Materials are in English.

Restrictions on Access

This collection is available for research use.

Biographical / Historical

The Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason, the first private psychiatric hospital in the U.S., was founded in 1813. The Association purchased a 52-acre farm in Oxford Township, Pa., near Frankford (now part of Philadelphia) and opened its doors to patients on May 15, 1817. It was subsequently known as Friends Asylum and, currently as Friends Hospital.

Extent

.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (1 folder ; 7 items.))

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source of acquisition--New York Yearly Meeting. Method of acquisition--Gift of; Date of acquisition--1997.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA