Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

George School Collection of Meeting House and George School Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-PA-070
This collection of photographs was assembled by the George School Archives and transferred to the Friends Historical Library. It consists primarily of photographs of Philadelphia-area Quaker Meeting Houses taken by Gilbert Cope and A.A. Buzby from the 18070s to 1930s. There are also a few photographs by other photographers, photographs of Meeting Houses beyond Philadelphia, and George School graduating classes. Most of the Meeting Houses are Hicksite-affiliated (labeled "H") but there are also some Orthodox Meeting House photographs.

Dates

  • 1870 - 1936

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

This collection is available for research use.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to reproduce images must be submitted to the Curator. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

.1 Cubic Feet (Half a box, stored with PA-068)

Overview

This collection of photographs was assembled by the George School Archives and transferred to the Friends Historical Library. It consists primarily of photographs of Philadelphia-area Quaker Meeting Houses taken by Gilbert Cope and A.A. Buzby from the 18070s to 1930s. There are also a few photographs by other photographers, photographs of Meeting Houses beyond Philadelphia, and George School graduating classes. George School is a Quaker school in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

Biographical / Historical

Gilbert Cope (1840-1928) was a historian, genealogist, and photographer. He was born and raised in West Chester, Pa. and was a Quaker who spent his life researching, recording and photographing life in Chester County.

A. Austin Buzby graduated from the George School in 1897.

George School was founded by Hicksite Quakers in 1887 and presently remains in operation in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

Arrangement

The photographs are arranged in four groups: A.A. Buzby's meeting house photographs, Gilbert Cope's meeting house photographs, other meeting house photographs, and George School classes.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of George School, November 2, 1993, as part of miscellaneous memorabilia withdrawn from the George School Archives, Acc. no. 93-047.
Description rules
dacs

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA