Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College slide collection
Scope and Contents
- 1925 - 2005
- Swarthmore College. Scott Arboretum (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
John C. Wister (1887-1982) became director of the Scott Foundation on January 1, 1930. He was a graduate of Harvard University and Harvard's School of Landscape Architecture and a noted horticulturist, writing books on irises and lilacs and editing many others. He was succeed in 1969 by Joseph Oppe. Judith Zuk served as director from 1983-1990. She was succeeded by Claire Sawyers.
The name was changed to Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College in 1986 to reflect that the foundation is actually an operating arboretum.
8.6 Cubic Feet (13 boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession SCA 2000-008: Deposited by Scott Arboretum Oct. 6, 2000. 4 Boxes, 2002 Handwritten inventory in each box by Bob Thompson, Scott volunteer
Accession 2004-019 Samuel Palmer lantern slides: Deposited 12/7/2004 by Mary Lou McKee. One wooden box and one small cardboard box of lantern slides, 1927-1928, collected during Palmer’s sabbatical in Europe, surveying gardens for proposed arboretum on Swarthmore College campus.
Accession SCA-2019-005: Transferred from Scott Arboretum, 05/2019. 44 archival slide boxes along with oversized folders containing garden landscape plans, art work, etc. Slides processed by student employee Anatole Shukla, summer 2019.
- Zoe Peyton Jones
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA