Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Scattergood Hostel and Scattergood Friends School photographs

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-PA-165

Scope and Contents

The bulk of this collection is photographs of Scattergood Refugee Hostel, but there are also photographs of pre-war and post-war Scattergood Friends School.

Dates

  • 1915 - 1953

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

This collection is available for research use.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to reproduce images must be submitted to the Curator. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

Scattergood Friends School opened in Iowa in 1890 under the care of Hickory Grove Quarterly Meeting (Ohio Yearly Meeting, now Iowa Yearly Meeting). In the throes of the Great Depression, the school closed in 1931 and remained vacant for a time. When European refugees began feeling Nazis in 1938, the youth conference of Iowa Yearly Meeting (Conservative) proposed that local Quakers cooperate with the American Friends Service Committee on refugee relief. In 1939, the first refuees arrived at Scattergood Hostel, operated by the AFSC. It was a place for refugees to stay and learn about American customs and history, but tenants were also expected to participate in work crews and contribute to growing and preparing their own food. Around 1943 the hostel ceased operation and the school re-opened in 1944. Scattergood still operates as Scattergood Friends School & Farm in 2018.

Extent

.3 Cubic Feet (1 box; stored with PA161, PA162, and PA164.)

Language

English

Overview

Scattergood Friends School opened in Iowa in 1890. The school closed during the Great Depression, and was repurposed during World War II as Scattergood Hostel to acclimate refugees from Europe. In 1944, it reopened as a school and remains open today. The bulk of this collection is photographs of Scattergood Refugee Hostel, but there are also photographs of pre-war and post-war Scattergood Friends School.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in folders by size.

Related Materials

Kaltenbach Family Correspondence, SFHL-RG5-291

Creator

Author
Zoe Peyton Jones
Date
2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA