Joseph C. Turnpenny scrapbook
Scope and Contents
Copy of lithographs of Court House, Rickett's Circus, and Oeller's Hoel 19th century Lithograph. Inscription on the back Photograph of plaster model of Congress Hall, State House, and City Hall Photograph residence of Joseph P. Richardson Photograph of residence of John Benington in Glen Mills Illustration of James Naylor 19th century Residence of Thomas Clarkson 19th century Rockwell (2 photographs) 19th century Photograph Residence of Stephen Crellet, Drawn and engraved by John Sartain Poor copy of portrait of James Logan, "Gift of [illegible] P. Smith" 1869 Trenton Falls, New York, 1863 Lithograph Hannah Trapnel. Engraving, 1823. "A Quaker, and pretended prophetess." Bernard Gilpin, "Gift of Deborah Fisher Wharton" Second Street in Philadelphia, W. Birch engraving. Swarthmore College. Lithograph after T. Moran Isaac T. Hopper, silhouette Elizabeth Canning, 1754. Engraving. "Printed for an sold by Thomas Bondes in St. Paul's Church Yard and John Bondes and Son at the Black Horse in Cornhill." Map of Philadelphia and Adjacent Parts, 1850 Lithograph. Fairman's Mansion and Treaty Tree engraving. Penn's Tree with the City and Port of Philadelphia, restrike after 1810 Copy of 1829 lithograph of Friends Meeting House and Academy Philadelphia.Includes with handwritten list of names and information about the meeting Jefferson Centennial Certificate, 1926. Receipt to Joseph T. Bunting. I Photograph of an unidentified farm on river
Contents of items stored in MSS 069, oversized manuscripts:
- Facsimile of letter from George Washington to Mr. Hopkins, on same page a small clipping of marriage of John L. Passmore and Mary Bunting, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth M. Bunting, Darby Monthly Meeting 
- Poetry Clippings, 19th century
- Lake scene lithograph drawn by G. Childs, published by Engelmann and Co., Published by C Tilt. 86 Fleet St. London" Number 6; [circa 1825] Copy
- 3 Postcards of outdoor scenery, undated;
- Color lithographs, copyright Fred Harvey: Bright Angel Canyon; Tourist Party on Bright Angel Trail, Hermit Camp, Desert View.
- La Grosse Horloge, Rouen, 19th century. Lithograph. "Hdraeyan Ruiti;"
- Amateur full-size silhouettes of Elizabeth R. Turnpenny/1886, Newport, and Joseph C. Turnpenny/1886/Newport.
- Lithographs of Washington's coach, residence of Thomas Elwood, Chalford, St. Giles Buckinghamshire
- Drawing of James Nailor [sic] Punishments 19th century Print of 1656 illustration of James Naylor being punished for blasphemy. [Better copies already in FHL collection]
- The Two Warfares placard, created by William H. Chase, Union Springs New York. In pencil, from Sarah Marshall, 1873.
- Photograph of Avondale Stable
- Reproductions of silhouettes of Captain Bitnell (?) and Major Andre, 1773 "Cut by Major Andre for Miss Rebecca Redman." Also: silhouettes of Captain Cathcart, Sir John Wrottesboy, and Mr. Phineas Bond 19th century
- Poor reproduction of commemorative infographic of the Revolutionary War
- Photograph of plaster model of Congress Hall, State House, and City Hall
- Residence of Thomas Clarkson. Copy
- Copy of lithograph of Court House, Rickett's Circus, and Oeller's Hotel
- Map of Philadelphia and Adjacent Parts, 1850 Lithograph. Poor condition, better copies in FHL collections
- Copy of 1829 lithograph of Friends Meeting House and Academy Philadelphia.Includes with handwritten list of names and information about the meeting [better copies in FHL]
- Small reproduced photographs, sitters not identified. Studio portrait of an unidentified woman.
- Jefferson Centennial Certificate, 1926. Receipt to Joseph T. Bunting.
- 1833 - 1926
- Turnpenny, Joseph C. (Joseph Clayborn), 1812-1892 (Compiler, Person)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
.25 Linear Feet : Oversized album, stored in +MSS chart case. Loose photographs and art to be stored in appropriate categories.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Mrs. Fry. Engraving, 1821. Published by "T. Boys, 7 Ludgate Hill." Engraved with permission of Mr. Dighton from the large print by W.T. Fry.
- Print of Gilpin's Mills, Brandywine, from Thomas Doughty and James Smillie.
- Sharon Female Seminary. "On Stone by James Queen." P.S. Duval and Co.'s Street Lithograph Press, Philadelphia
- James Naylor. I. Caulfield, 1793
- James Naylor. Engraving by R. Grave and published by I. Caulfield, 1823
- Benjamin Lay, lithograph after William Williams painting
- Isaac T. Hopper, Engraving by T.M. Enzing-Miller and designed by William Page
- Maria Fox, engraving by W. Warner. Back says "Mother was named after Maria Fox's mother. Her name was Tabitha Middleton." [presumably written by Joseph C. Turnpenny]
- Residence of Anthony Benezet, engraving, 1818
- George Dillwyn. Engraving, 1820. Inscription on the back reads "Mother took tea at Edward [illegible] with G.D. before he embarked for Engld the last time."
- William Procter. [probably William Procter, Jr., b. 1817, Baltimore. "Father of American Pharmacy."]
- Isaac Parrish, MD. Engraving by A.B. Walter and daguerreotyped by Richards
- John Hopper, son of Isaac Hopper, 1877. Photo by H. Manger.
- Henry M. Tollickoffer [?}, silhouette
- Engraving of a bust of Isaac T. Hopper, T.M. Enzing-Miller, 1877
- Friends' Alms-House, lithograph. "On Walnut St. Philadelphia - Erected in 1729." T. Sinclair
- Residence of Thomas Clarkson 19th century
- Elizabeth Canning, 1754. Engraving. "Printed for an sold by Thomas Bondes in St. Paul's Church Yard
- Residence of Stephen Grellet, drawn and engraved by John Sartain
- Trenton Falls, New York, 1863. Lithograph from engraving?
- Hannah Trapnel. Engraving, published by J. Caulfield, 1823. "A Quaker, and pretended prophetess." from print by Gaywood
- Bernard Gilpin (1517-1583), lithograph, Philadelphia. Inscribed at bottom of page: "Gift of Deborah Fisher Wharton/ 1/9.76"
- Second Street in Philadelphia, W. Birch engraving, 1800.
- Swarthmore College [before fire]. Lithograph after T. Moran
- James Logan, "Gift of Lloyd P. Smith, 11/15, 1869"
- Penn's Tree with the City and Port of Philadelphia, re-strike after 1810
- Fairman's Mansion and Treaty Tree engraving.
- Isaac T. Hopper, silhouette
- Joseph P. Richardson residence, photograph [Wilmington Quaker?), to PA
- Two photographs of Rockwell
- View of train crossing and residence of John Benington, Glen Mills," photograph
- Unidentified view of farm? on Delaware? Photograph
- Colored photograph of an unidentified man, copy from studio of F. Gutekunst, Philadelphia
- Joseph C. Turnpenny scrapbook
- Susanna Morikawa
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA