Scope and Contents
The collection includes meeting minutes of the Board of Directors and Consultative Council (1943-1969), correspondence (1940- ), memoranda, literature and releases, financial records, statistics, subject files, newspaper clippings, photographs, motion pictures, and much other material. In addition to the administrative records of the Washington office, the 1940-1947 records include correspondence, reports, and publications of 151 Civilian Public Service camps, together with case files of men assigned to CPS camps and of the men who were reclassified or imprisoned. Additional case files covering the period 1949 to 1973 contain information about men who performed alternative service (1-W classification) and about men who sought help with problems relating to military service and/or classification. All case files about individual CPS men and women are restricted. Series titles were established by the organization and modified in 2006 by Swarthmore College Peace Collection (SCPC) staff.
Among the correspondents are the above-named executive directors and Roger N. Baldwin, Allen H. Barr, Charles F. Boss, JR., James A. Crain, Girven H. Culley, E. LeRoy Dakin, Henry A. Fast, Paul J. Furnas, Albert M. Gaeddert, Lewis B. Hershey, A. S. Imirie, Abraham Kaufman, Huber F. Klemme, Lewis F. Kosch, George Loft, Robert A. Lyon, Orie O. Miller, James P. Mullin, A. J. Muste, Mary B. Newman, Ray Newton, W. Harold Row, William T. Snyder, Lyle Tatum, Walter W. Van Kirk, Norman J. Whitney, Herman Will Jr., George Willoughby, and M. R. Higler.
Material in Part I was refoldered and reboxed by student assistants in 2003-2008. With the exception of Series A, material is still largely in the same order as it was when sent to the Peace Collection by NSBRO/NISBCO staff. For the most part, files in Part II and Part III have not been included in this reprocessing effort; partial finding aids for these Parts are available onsite at the SCPC.
Biographical / Historical
The Center on Conscience and War (CCW) is a non-profit organization whose primary purpose is to spread understanding of conscientious objection. It is sponsored by a broad coalition of religious groups and acts as a service agency for individual conscientious objectors and for churches and organizations interested in CO's. Founded in 1940 by the historic peace churches (the Society of Friends [Quakers], Brethren and Mennonites) to provide a unified approach to the federal government in matters concerning conscientious objection and alternative services, the organization went by the name National Service Board for Religious Objectors (NSBRO). From 1941-1947, the NSBRO office in Washington functioned as the administrative agency for the Civilian Public Service program in which over 12,000 men performed "work of national importance," primarily under the direction of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), the Brethren Service Committee (BSC), and the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). NSBRO served as a liaison with the Selective Service System and other federal agencies, disseminated information about the program, and provided counseling and other assistance to individual CO's.
After World War II, NSBRO continued to provide information on registration, classification, regulations, legislation, and court decisions concerning conscientious objectors and furnished assistance to those making appeals. In more recent years, the focus of activity was opposition to any form of registration, the draft, or compulsory national service and the provision of information and counseling for any persons experiencing problems with military service or concerned about convictions of conscientious objection. The organization's name was changed in 1970 to National Interreligious Service Board for Conscientious Objectors (NISBCO), and to The Center on Conscience & War in Dec. 1999.
Paul Comly French was executive director of NSBRO during the war period, 1940-1946, followed by Ora Huston (1946-1948), A. Stauffer Curry (1949-1955), C. LeRoy Doty Jr. (1956-1958), J. Harold Sherk (1958-1969), and Warren W. Hoover (1969- ); later executive directors were: L. William (Bill) Yolton, early 1990s; Philip L. Borkholder and Raymond J. Toney, mid 1990s; J.E. McNeil, 1999?-2011; Maria Santelli, 2011-date.