Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Rockland County Peace Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: SCPC-DG-121

Scope and Contents

This collection is comprised of annual reports (1932-1949), minutes (1930-1950), correspondence (1931-1949), scattered financial reports, fliers, clippings, memoranda, and other materials, relating to the activities of the association. Persons represented include former presidents McCarrell H. Leiper and Walter B. MacKellar and executive secretary Kathleen Whitaker Sayre. Correspondents include Ralph A. Gamble and Caroline O'Day.

Dates

  • 1930-1950

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

None.

Copyright and Rights Information

None.

Historical

The Rockland County Peace Association was a small local peace group which began in 1930 in New York state. The purpose of the group was "to stimulate popular education and public opinion with a view to the prevention of war." Leadership of the Association was provided by McCarrell H. Leiper and Dr. Walter B. MacKellar, each of whom served ten years as president, and by Kathleen Whitaker Sayre (wife of John Nevin Sayre), who was executive secretary from 1930 until the organization's dissolution.

Before World War II, the Association's activities included sponsorship of public dinner meetings with prominent peace speakers, sending peace literature to schools, churches and synagogues, holding essay contests, and sending resolutions to government leaders. The Association also sent delegates to peace conferences and sponsored a Youth Peace Group, which existed from 1933 until 1937. In 1937, the Association was admitted to the National Peace Conference and a strong relationship was maintained thereafter. During the war years, the Association carried on relief work through the American Friends Service Committee, and continued to distribute educational peace propaganda. Despite Sayre's continued interest and dedicated efforts, dwindling membership in the late 1940s led to the decision in 1950 to disband the group.

It is unlikely that this collection comprises the entire records of the Rockland County Peace Association, but it is unknown if more records are still in existence elsewhere.

Extent

1.75 Linear Feet (1.75 linear ft.)

Overview

The Rockland County Peace Association was a small local peace group begun in 1930 to stimulate popular education and public opinion with a view to the prevention of war. It carried on relief work during World War II through the American Friends Service Committee.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Kathleen Whitaker Sayre [Acc. A50-120].

Related Materials

For related materials, search the library's online catalog

Legal Status

Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Processing Information

Checklist prepared by Anne M. Yoder, March 2004; this finding aid was prepared by Chloe Lucchesi- Malone.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)