Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

SCI International Voluntary Service (U.S.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SCPC-DG-148
Includes correspondence, administrative files, financial records, recruitment, orientation and membership files, periodicals, published materials, photographs of starvation in Biafra, and publications from the International Secretariat and affiliates in other countries. Correspondents include Dorothy Day, David Dellinger, Robert Gaebler, A.J. Muste, and Robert Stowell.

Dates

  • 1954-1976

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

None.

Copyright and Rights Information

None.

Extent

10.1 Linear Feet (10.1 linear ft.)

Overview

This organization was stablished around 1956 by Robert Stowell and others as an American affiliate of Service Civil International with the goals of voluntary service, self-discipline, and international friendship. The group operated approximately 87 workcamps between 1954 and 1974. SCI provided placements and alternative service for conscientious objectors. SCI suspended operation in the mid-1970s, but was revived in the mid-1980s by a group of former SCI volunteers.

Historical

Established around 1956 by Robert Stowell and others as an American affiliate of Service Civil International (founded in Europe in 1920 by Pierre Ceresole) with goals of voluntary service, self-discipline, and international friendship; U.S. national office located successively in Cabot, Vermont, Wheatland, Wyoming, and Chicago, Illinois; has also called itself International Voluntary Service (also the name of the British affiliate); this usage was discontinued to avoid confusion with another group of a similar name located in Washington D.C.; operated approximately 87 workcamps between 1954 and 1974; arranged short-term workcamp assignments overseas and a small number of long-term and conscientious objector placements; suspended operation in the mid-1970s, but was revived in the mid-1980s by a group of former SCI volunteers located in Crozet, Virginia.

Arrangement

This collection remains in the order in which it was donated.

Custodial History

The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these papers/records.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Robert Gaebler, 1987 [Acc. 87A-083].

Related Materials

For related materials, search the library's online catalog

Legal Status

Copyright may have been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection or may have been retained by the creators/authors (or their descendents), in this collection, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Please contact the SCPC Curator for further information.

Processing Information

This collection is unprocessed and remains in the order in which it was donated. This finding aid was created by Amanda by Amanda Cardillo June 2012.

Creator

Description rules
dacs

Revision Statements

  • 2017: The file list was standardized in Summer 2017 by Min Cheng in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace. Elisabeth Miller added the notes in Fall 2017.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)