Skip to main content

Council for Correspondence Collected Records

 Collection
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Council for Correspondence

Abstract

Includes correspondence, memos, printed materials, and serial publications.

Dates

  • 1960-1965

Biographical / Historical

Founded in 1960 at a meeting at Bear Mountain, New York; originally named the Committee of Correspondence, in the tradition of the Committees of Correspondence of the American Revolution; headquartered in New York, N.Y.; formed to give Americans an intellectual forum to speak and work against the nuclear arms race which had been precipitated by the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union and their allies; changed name to Council for Correspondence in 1962 to avoid confusion with another group of the same name. Members of the original council were: John C. Bollens, Stephen G. Cary, William Davidon, Jerome Frank, Erich Fromm, Robert W. Gilmore, Cecil Hinshaw, H. Stuart Hughes, William R. Huntington, Russell Johnson, Sidney Lens, Robert J. Lifton, Michael Maccoby, Lenore Marshall, Stewart Meacham, Everett Mendelsohn, A.J. Muste, Clarence E. Pickett, Robert Pickus, Marcus Raskin, David Riesman, Mulford Sibley, John Swomley, Harold Taylor, and Norman J. Whitney; issued a newsletter, later (July-Aug. 1963) titled The Correspondent, published in Cambridge, Mass. until at least 1965.

Extent

0.83 Linear Feet (10 linear in.)

Language

English

General Note

The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)