Skip to main content

Gandhian Foundation Records

 Collection
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Gandhian Foundation

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of correspondence, and of financial records for the Foundation, both as ledger pages of income and expenses, and as files on grants requested and given.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1958-2000

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Restrictions on Access

Access: open for research without restrictions.

Copyright and Rights Information

None.

Historical note

The Gandhian Foundation founded in 1958 by Thomas Evans, Robert Gilmore, Sheldon Weeks, and William DeLano as a nonprofit trust fund exclusively for religious, charitable, and educational purposes. Three of these trustees were Quakers. The office was located in the New York Friends Group Inc. building on East 18th Street, New York City. For years the Foundation was involved in several projects that reflected the concerns and interests of the founders. By the end of the 1980s it had become inactive and the trustees transferred the Foundation to a group of Quakers in Philadelphia. On December 20, 1990 it was reorganized with a new Board. Three trustees were elected: Lillian Willoughby, George Willoughby, and George Lakey. All were members of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. The office was moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Gandhian Foundation provided fiscal sponsorship to the Scholarship Project of Training for Change, a Philadelphia-based social change training center, and several other small groups engaged in experimental nonviolent social change. The Foundation also administered the Activist Retirement Fund, established by friends and supporters of Training for Change. In December 2004 the trustees were Michael Beer, George Willoughby, David Grant and John Lapham; the office was located in Deptford, New Jersey.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (1 linear ft.)

Overview

Founded in 1958 in New York City as a trust fund exclusively for religious, charitable, and educational purposes. On December 20, 1990 the Foundation was reorganized and moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to provide fiscal sponsorship to the Scholarship Project of Training for Change, a Philadelphia-based social change training center.

Other Finding Aids

For the catalog record for this collection, and to find materials on similar topics, search the library's online catalog.

Custodial History

The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository this collection of records.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Greg Barnes (from George and Lillian Willoughby) [acc. 06A-033].

Legal Status

Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Creator

Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)