Biographical / Historical
Consultative Peace Council; CPC. These files contain the papers of several groups: the Pacifist Action Committee, the Anti-War Mobilization Mass Meeting, and the Neutrality Bloc, which led to the development of the Peace Strategy Board, which became the Joint Peace Board in 1945-1946. The group again changed its name in 1946 to Consultative Peace Council; this was the final name of the organization. The Consultative Peace Council formed in 1946 as a clearinghouse of major American peace groups, mainly pacifist-leaning; headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Present at the organizing committee of the Consultative Peace Council held February 13, 1946 at Atlantic City, New Jersey included: M.R. Zigler, Brethren Service Committee; Ray Newton, American Friends Service Committee; Dorothy Detzer, Women's International League for Peace and Freedom; John Swomley, Fellowship of Reconciliation; Elsie Elfenbein, Post War World Council; Abe Kaufman, War Resisters League; E. Raymond Wilson, Friends Committee on National Legislation; Jesse Hoover, Mennonite Central Committee; Fred J. Libby, National Council for the Prevention of War; Hi Doty, Pacifist Research Bureau; Henry Perry, Peace Committee Five Years Meeting of Friends; Allan Knight Chalmers, Fellowship of Reconciliation; Jerome Malino, Jewish Peace Fel1owship Hannah Clothier Hull, Friends' General Conference; Mildred Scott Olmsted, Women's International League and Women's Committee on Conscription; Paul C. French, National Service Board for Religious Objectors; Henry Cadbury, American Friends Service Committee; Waldemar Metz (Evangelical and Reformed Peace Fellowship in process of formation); Lee Stern, Pacifist Esperantist Fellowship: Mark Shaw, National Council for the Prevention of War; and A.J. Muste, Fellowship of Reconciliation. Alfred Hassler was its final president. The CPC ceased to exist around 1969.