Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Methodist Peace Fellowship Collected Records

 Collection
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Methodist Peace Fellowship
Collection includes correspondence, minutes of meetings, flyers.

Dates

  • 1950-1967, 1985

Creator

Language of Material

Materials are in English.

Restrictions on Access

Collection is open for research without restrictions.

Extent

0.08 Linear Feet (1 folder.)

Biographical / Historical

Organized on November 6, 1950 in Chicago, Illinois as the Methodist Pacifist Fellowship; a second committee organized again in Chicago on January 14, 1952 as the Fellowship of Methodist Pacifists, but both names had been used interchangeably since 1950; organizers included Henry Hitt Crane, John Swomley, and H.D. Bollinger; the organization declined through the mid-1960s, when it was revived as the Methodist Peace Fellowship, dealing with conscientious objection issues with the Vietnam War. (There is another Methodist Peace Fellowship in Great Britain, organized in 1933. There appears to have been a pre-World War II effort to organize an American "Methodist Peace Fellowship" spearheaded by Charles F. Boss, but it is not known if it was ever actually organized in the U.S.). The Methodist Peace Fellowship is an unofficial group of Methodist Christians which includes all denominations in the Wesleyan tradition.

General Note

The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
Description rules
dacs

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)