Skip to main content

Lincoln Monthly Meeting Records

 Collection
Identifier: QM-B-L563

Scope and Contents

Records of Lincoln Monthly Meeting, 1834-1950; minutes of Men's Meeting and Joint, 1887-1950; vital records, 1887-1950; minutes of Meeting for Ministry and Oversight, 1886-1922; miscellaneous papers, 1886-1938.

Dates

  • 1834-1950

Creator

Language of Materials

Records in English

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Information on reproduction policies available in the Library.

Biographical / Historical

After the Separation of 1828, the small congregation of Orthodox Friends located at South Fork and at Goose Creek formed part of Hopewell Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) and continued to share that Meeting House with the Hicksites. South Fork was soon discontinued, but Goose Creek Meeting was held until 1863, when, because of the military activity in northern Virginia, the Meetings ceased for a period of three years. During the 1870s, little was heard from the Friends in this area, but in 1886, minutes of Baltimore Quarterly Meeting record that in January of that year, Lincoln Particular Meeting was established under the care of Baltimore Monthly Meeting and Baltimore Quarterly Meeting, in the neighborhood where the Goose Creek Meeting had been held up to the time of the Civil War. In 1894, a new Particular Meeting was settled and a Meeting House built in nearby Silicott Springs, and it was placed under the care of the Lincoln Monthly Meeting. The Silicott Springs Meeting was sold to another church group in Purcellville in 1934. While membership at Lincoln gradually decreased, the Hicksite and Orthodox congregations in that area worked together in joint concerns. In 1943, when a windstorm inflicted heavy damage to the Meeting House belonging to the Hicksites of the Goose Creek Monthly Meeting, Lincoln Friends initiated joint services for the two Meetings at the Lincoln Meeting House. In 1950, they were united to become the Goose Creek Monthly Meeting, United, a subordinate of the Potomac Quarterly Meeting.

Extent

0.75 Linear Feet

Arrangement

Divided into series: Men's Meeting and Joint; Vital Records; Worship and Ministry and its Predecessors; Miscellaneous.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit, Baltimore Yearly Meeting.

Existence and Location of Copies

Also available in microfilm, for use in the Library only:
Title
RECORDS OF LINCOLN MONTHLY MEETING
Subtitle
A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Haverford College Quaker Collection
Date
2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library