Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Preparative Meeting of New York for the Northern District (Orthodox) Records

 Collection
Identifier: QM-NY-N464
Women's minutes of the Orthodox branch of the Preparative Meeting of N.Y. for the Northern District and its pre-Separation predecessor, 1820-1828.

Dates

  • 1820-1828

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Where available, access is through microfilm.

Copyright and Rights Information

Information on reproduction policies available in the library.

Extent

0.08 Linear Feet (1 volume)

Overview

Women's minutes of the Orthodox branch of the Preparative Meeting of N.Y. for the Northern District and its pre-Separation predecessor, 1820-1828.

Biographical / Historical

New York Preparative Meeting was established in 1753 by Flushing Monthly. In 1806 the monthly meeting divided the preparative into the Eastern District, meeting at Pearl Street, and the Western District, meeting at Liberty Street. The first Western District Meeting was laid down in 1822 and attached its members to the Eastern District. The Eastern District changed its name to Southern District in 1824. The first Northern District was established by the Quarterly Meeting in 1820. In 1856 the Southern and Northern districts merged and called themselves Southern District. In 1832 the second Western District Meeting, which was held at Greenwich/Downing Street, was established. It became the second Northern District in 1856. The second Northern District Meeting and the Southern District joined in 1881 and called themselves New York Preparative Meeting, held at 15th Street. In 1958 the Orthodox branch, known as New York Preparative Meeting (Orthodox) until 1902 and as New York Congregational Meeting until the reunification, reunited with the Hicksites in 1958. In 1968 they changed their name to Fifteenth Street Preparative Meeting.

Arrangement

Divided into series: 1. Women's minutes.

Physical Location

For current information on the location of records, please consult the Library’s online catalogue

Custodial History

Transferred from Haviland Records Room by NYYM in 1997.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit, 1997.
Title
RECORDS OF PREPARATIVE MEETING OF NEW YORK FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT (ORTHODOX)
Subtitle
An Inventory of Its Records at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
Author
Inventory prepared by: FHL Staff
Date
2007
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library