Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Chester Preparative Meeting Records

Identifier: QM-Ph-C455
Records as follows: minutes of the Hicksite men's meeting and later, of joint sessions with women, 1827-1950; minutes of the Orthodox men’s meeting, 1819-1946; Hicksite women's minutes, 1827-1897; Orthodox women’s minutes, 1788-1918; Hicksite financial records, 1761-1913; Orthodox financial records, 1922-1945; pre-separation property records, 1700-1814; Hicksite property deeds, 1852-1948; Orthodox property deeds, 1782-1944; minutes and other records of Moorestown First Day School, 1869-1924.


  • 1761-1950.

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.


9.5 Linear Feet

Biographical / Historical

A meeting for worship at Pennsauken Creek was established in 1685 by Burlington Monthly Meeting. The meeting became part of Newton (Haddonfield) Monthly Meeting about 1686. In 1717, a meeting for worship began to circulate between Chester and Evesham. A circulating preparative meeting was established in 12mo 1717/8. A meeting for worship held entirely at Chester and a preparative meeting were established in 1740. At the time of the Separation of 1827, Chester Preparative Meeting split into Orthodox and Hicksite branches.

The Hicksite Preparative Meeting began to meet on an annual basis in 1922; it was discontinued in 1950, and all its business and assets were transferred to Chester [Moorestown] Monthly Meeting (Hicksite).

The Orthodox Preparative Meeting began to meet on an annual basis in 1927. It was discontinued in 1946.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker Collection
Description rules
Language of description

Revision Statements

  • 2017: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model. This finding aid was updated in 2017 by Madison Arnold-Scerbo.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library