Skip to main content

Camden Monthly Meeting Records

Identifier: QM-Ph-C340

Scope and Contents

Records of Camden Monthly Meeting and of its predecessors, Duck Creek and Motherkiln Monthly Meetings, 1686-2014, include: vital records, 1686-2000; pre-Separation, Hicksite and United men’s and joint session minutes, 1705-1961 and 1994-2006; women's minutes, 1711-1874; financial records, 1829-1961; miscellaneous papers, 1740-2014. The Camden Friends Meeting Newsletter, in Series 6, contains copies of the unapproved minutes of the Meeting.


  • 1686-2014

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

A monthly meeting at Duck Creek was established by Chester (Concord) Quarterly Meeting in 1705 out of Newark (Kennett) Monthly Meeting. Motherkiln Monthly Meeting was established in 1788 by Western Quarterly Meeting from a division of Duck Creek. Both monthly meetings became part of Southern Quarterly Meeting when it was established in 1789.

The Orthodox branch of Motherkiln was discontinued at the time of the Separation. In 1828, a new monthly meeting was established for the Orthodox members in the area of Southern Quarterly Meeting. Three years later, this new meeting was held solely at Third Haven. Orthodox members at Motherkiln were attached to Wilmington Monthly Meeting (Orthodox).

Camden Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) was formed in 1830 by the merger of Duck Creek Monthly Meeting and Motherkiln Monthly Meeting. This Hicksite monthly meeting, which reunited with Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox) in 1955, was the forerunner of the current Camden Monthly Meeting.


13 Linear Feet



Immediate Source of Acquisition

A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library