Skip to main content

Germantown Preparative Meeting Records

 Collection
Identifier: QM-Ph-G310

Scope and Contents

Records include: Minutes of the pre-Separation and Orthodox men's meeting and later of joint sessions with women, 1756-1939; Hicksite men's minutes, 1877-1914; pre-Separation and Orthodox women's meeting minutes, 1784-1917; Hicksite women's minutes, 1877-1880; Orthodox account books 1739-1812, 1832-1938; Hicksite account books,1877-1914; Orthodox receipt books, 1859-1895; Orthodox membership, 1799-1843; Hicksite membership, 1807-1812, 1888-1911; Orthodox women's records, 1862-1902; building committee financial records, 1705, 1867-1871; property records (blueprints, 1901); Germantown Friends School minutes, accounts, and attendance, 1845-1905; library committee minutes and account books, 1862-1945; trustees meeting minutes and accounts, 1859-1956.

Dates

  • 1705-1956

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

A meeting for worship at Germantown was organized ca. 1682. It was attached to Abington Monthly Meeting by 1687. Germantown Preparative Meeting was established by 1728. In 1816, it was transferred to Frankford Monthly Meeting. The Orthodox preparative meeting was transferred to Germantown Monthly Meeting in 1906. It began to meet on an annual basis in 1907. Currently the preparative meeting functions as a body of trustees for the monthly meeting. Germantown Preparative Meeting (Hicksite) was merged into Frankford Preparative Meeting in 1827 and then transferred to Green Street Monthly Meeting. In 1877, a new preparative meeting was established by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting after the dissolution of Frankford Preparative Meeting. In 1914, at the removal of Green Street Monthly Meeting to Germantown, this preparative meeting was discontinued.

Extent

11.75 Linear Feet

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit
Title
RECORDS OF GERMANTOWN PREPARATIVE MEETING AND GERMANTOWN MEETING
Subtitle
A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Library Quaker Collection
Date
2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library