Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Kennett Monthly Meeting Records

 Collection
Identifier: QM-Ph-K420
Records of Kennett Monthly Meeting, 1650-ongoing; includes: Hicksite registers of births and deaths, 1650-1896; burial records, 1741-1777, and Hicksite 1754-1931; Hicksite marriage certificates, 1692-1968; Hicksite membership records, 1851-1858, 1892-1977; Orthodox membership records, 1857-1864, 1885-1939; Hicksite and United men’s minutes, 1686-2012; Orthodox men’s minutes, 1827-1939; clerk's correspondence, 1933-1941; Orthodox women's minutes, 1698-1911; Hicksite women’s minutes, 1827-1893; Orthodox ministers and elders' minutes, 1856-1880; Hicksite financial records, 1885-1918; property records, 1743-1931; sufferings committee minutes, 1757 and 1777-1791; and miscellaneous papers, 1776-1910.

Dates

  • 1650-2012

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

36 Linear Feet

Biographical / Historical

The first monthly meeting of Friends which was to become Newark was held at the Widow Welsh's in New Castle in 1686. It became part of Chester [Concord] Quarterly Meeting in 1693. The monthly meeting was transferred to Western Quarterly Meeting in 1758. In 1760, its name was changed to "Kennett". At the time of the Hicksite Separation of 1827, the monthly meeting split into Hicksite and Orthodox branches.

Kennett Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) was discontinued in 1939, and most of its members were transferred to New Garden Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) in West Grove, Pa.

Kennett Monthly Meeting (Hicksite), which reunited with Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox) in 1955, was the forerunner of the current Kennett Monthly Meeting.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit
Title
RECORDS OF KENNETT MONTHLY MEETING (KENNETT SQUARE, PA)
Subtitle
A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
Date
2011
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library