Skip to main content

Haverford Preparative Meeting Records

 Collection
Identifier: QM-Ph-H370

Scope and Contents

Records of Haverford Preparative Meeting, 1741-1950, include: membership lists, 1783-1796, 1809-1827 and 1826 (with Radnor Monthly Meeting Births and Deaths [copy], 1685-1924); Orthodox membership, 1783-1863; membership list, 1931 (with Minutes, 1918-1935); Hicksite men’s meeting minutes, 1839-1948 and 1948-1950 (with Old Haverford Monthly Meeting Minutes, 1950-1955); women's meeting minutes, 1805-1807 (with Radnor Monthly Meeting women's minutes, 1812-1835); Hicksite women’s meeting minutes, 1872-1879; Orthodox women’s meeting minutes, 1905-1907; account book, 1801-1852 includes subscriptions, 1801-1855; deeds and related papers, 1693-1868; memorial for John Bevan, 1927.

Dates

  • 1783-1950

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

A meeting for worship at Haverford was established by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting in 1684; it became part of Haverford [Radnor] Monthly Meeting in 1684. A preparative meeting was established in 1701.

The Orthodox preparative meeting was discontinued in 1827. The meeting for worship merged with Radnor meeting in 1835. In 1865, Haverford Meeting was transferred to Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Western District. In 1904, the meeting became part of Haverford Monthly Meeting. A second Haverford Preparative Meeting (Orthodox) was established in 1904 under Haverford Monthly Meeting. The functions of this preparative meeting were absorbed by the monthly meeting in 1907.

The Hicksite preparative meeting was established as Haverford Monthly Meeting in 1950 at the dissolution of Radnor Monthly Meeting. In 1951, the name of this meeting was changed to "Old Haverford."

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit
Title
RECORDS OF HAVERFORD PREPARATIVE MEETING AND HAVERFORD MEETING (HAVERFORD, PA)
Subtitle
A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker Collection
Date
2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library