Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Philadelphia Monthly Meeting Records

 Collection
Identifier: QM-Ph-P460

Scope and Contents

Minutes of the men's meeting and later, of joint sessions with women; registers of births and deaths; marriage certificates; membership lists and registers; removals issued and received, and other vital records; women's minutes; ministers and elders' minutes; financial and property papers; minutes and other papers of the Race Street First Day School; records of the Library Association of Friends of Philadelphia; and other miscellaneous papers.

Dates

  • 1677-1955

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

A monthly meeting at Philadelphia was established along with Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting in 10mo 1682/3. In 1772, this meeting was divided, resulting in two additional monthly meetings: Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Northern District and Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Southern District. The original meeting was then sometimes referred to as the "Middle District." In 1814, a further division created Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Western District.

At the time of the Separation, the Orthodox Friends held the meeting at 4th and Arch Streets. This meeting was the forerunner of the current Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia at Arch Street. In 1827, Abington Quarterly Meeting (Hicksite) re-established a monthly meeting in the city for Friends of Philadelphia and Byberry. It became part of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) in 1828. From 1828 to 1857, this meeting held its sessions at a meeting house on Cherry Street.

A Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia held at Spruce Street, also known as Spruce Street Monthly Meeting, was set off in 1833; this meeting was discontinued in 1903, its remaining members transferred back to the Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia (Hicksite).

In 1957, Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia (Hicksite) merged with Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia for the Western District to form Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting of Friends.

Extent

75 Linear Feet

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit

Separated Materials

Records before 1827 have been described in the finding aid of the Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia. Records after the reunification are with those of Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting.
Title
RECORDS OF MONTHLY MEETING OF FRIENDS OF PHILADELPHIA (HICKSITE)
Subtitle
A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
Date
2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library