Scope and Contents
Records of both the pre-Reunification Radnor Monthly Meetings and the records of the sucessor of Radnor United Monthly Meeting.
Records of the first Radnor Monthly Meetings, pre-Separation, Orthodox and Hicksite, 1685-1951 include: vital records, 1680-1826; Hicksite vital records, 1763-1950; Hicksite men’s minutes, 1827-1951; Orthodox men's minutes, 1682-1865; women's minutes, 1685-1811; Hicksite women’s minutes, 1872-1887; Orthodox women’s minutes, 1835-1865; ministers and elders' minutes, 1756-1803; Hicksite ministers’ and elders’ minutes, 1872-1938; Hicksite financial records, 1809-1950; Hicksite miscellaneous papers, 1696-1900; Orthodox miscellaneous papers, 1731-1796.
Records of the second Radnor Monthly Meeting and its predecessor, Radnor United Meeting include: minutes since 1937; vital records, 1937-1987; Worship and Ministry Committee minutes, 1951-1960 and 1964-1978; account book, 1941-1952; papers pertaining to the care of the meetinghouse and burials, 1937-1940; reports, committee appointments, calendars, and other papers, 1963-1969.
Copyright and Rights Information
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
A monthly meeting for the meetings at Haverford, Merion and Radnor was established in 1684 by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting. The meeting was originally known as "Haverford". It became known as "Radnor" after 10mo 1796 when the monthly meeting was fixed at Radnor meeting house. At the time of the Hicksite Separation of 1827, two branches of this monthly meeting were formed.
The Orthodox monthly meeting removed to Haverford after the Separation. It was discontinued in 1865, and its members were attached to the Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia for the Western District.
In 1950, Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting (Hicksite) approved the discontinuance of Radnor Monthly Meeting. Its preparative meetings of Haverford and Merion were then established as monthly meetings. Radnor Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) was discontinued in 1951.
In 1936, the formation of a united monthly meeting at Radnor out of Haverford Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) and Valley Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) was approved by the two Philadelphia quarterly meetings. The meeting was established in 1937 and was known as Radnor United Monthly Meeting. The name of this meeting was changed to Radnor Monthly Meeting in 1955. This Radnor Monthly Meeting is currently active.