Central America Working Group Records
Scope and Contents
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
Over time, the group began to work on a number of other activities. In addition to aiding refugees, it worked on sister city projects, overground railroad, raising bond money, and community education. Due to this increase in responsibilities, in 1989 the name of the group was changed to the Central America Working Group. Refugee assistance, lobbying, and education became the three main foci of the group in the 90's. In the fall of 1990, it participated in a successful area lobbying effort to pass the Dodd-Leahy bill, which blocked funding to the Salvadoran government. The most recent minute of the group in this collection is dated November 1992, but the final listing of the group in the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting directory occurs in 1995/1996.
An especially active member of the group, whose correspondence and documents are included in this collection, was Charles F. Peterson. First as clerk of the Peace Committee, and then as clerk of the Central America Working group after 1991/1992, Peterson traveled to Panama and Costa Rica, wrote many impassioned letters to Congressmen and newspapers, and helped organize the Interfaith Pilgrimage for Peace and Life in 1991/1992.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Church work with refugees -- Society of Friends
- Crauderueff, Michael
- Kent, May Day
- Peterson, Charles F.
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Central America Working Group
- Sanctuary movement
- Society of Friends -- Delaware
- Society of Friends -- Maryland
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania
- PHILADELPHIA YEARLY MEETING OF THE RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF FRIENDS. CENTRAL AMERICA WORKING GROUP.
- A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library