Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Young Friends Movement (Hicksite) Records

 Collection
Identifier: QM-Phy-585

Scope and Contents

Records of the Young Friends Movement (H) at Haverford include the organization's Minutes (1916-1922), Correspondence (1917-1930), Financial Records (1915-1929), Publications (1912-1928), Conference Records (1918-1929) and Special Projects Records (1921-1930) and the minutes and other records of its Central Committee (1916-1929) and Executive Committee (1916-1931).

Records of the Movement (H) and Young Friends Committee (O) are located in separate boxes, but under the common label of "Young Friends Movement". Records specific to either the Young Friends Committee (Orthodox) or Young Friends Movement (Joint) are catalogued under those respective headings.

Dates

  • 1912-1932

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

The Hicksite Young Friends Movement together with the Orthodox Young Friends Committee were predecessor groups of the Joint Young Friends Movement.

The Young Friends Movement (Hicksite) was first organized in 1916 and was recognized by PYM(H) two years later when the larger body appropriated funds and appointed an Advisory Board. Members were between the ages of 15 and 35 years, and paid one dollar annually. The Central Committee consisted of the Executive Committee, two representatives from each Quarterly or Half Yearly Meeting, and six to eight members at large. A General Conference was held on the 7th day preceding Yearly Meeting week, with the evening session devoted to the William Penn lecture. Pilgrimages were held in many communities to encourage a spirit of fellowship, and study groups were organized at the local level.

In 1930, 25 years before the two branches reunited, the Movement merged with its Orthodox counterpart and formed the Young Friends Movement (Joint). That group continued until 1975, at which point it merged with the Religious Education Committee of PYM.

Extent

2.25 Linear Feet

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit
Title
YOUNG FRIENDS MOVEMENT (Hicksite) OF THE PHILADELPHIA YEARLY MEETING
Subtitle
A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in the Haverford College Library Quaker Collection
Author
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends: 1676- : Delaware County, Pa.).
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library