Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Overview This collection contains the typed correspondence of the Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
Abstract Collection of manuscript drafts of epistles prepared by Baltimore Yearly Meeting to send to the Yearly Meetings of Philadelphia, New York, Rhode Island, and North Carolina. Most concern the education and treatment of Indians, African Americans, and Quaker children; also, opposition to war and the production of liquor by Friends. All are handwritten with corrections.
Scope and Contents Includes Minutes and statistics of Baltimore Yearly Meeting and all of its subsidiaries in Maryland and Virginia. Also, material concerning Friends in Barbados and Europe, conscientious objectors the Separation of 1827-1828, slavery, reconstruction in the Southern states after the Civil War, Indians, Quaker education, memorials extracts from the Journal of Thomas Story, the letterbook of Robert Pleasants, and records of the Lynch family.
Overview The term "epistle" is used to refer to letters exchanged between Quaker organizations, especially from one yearly meeting to another. Epistles are often used to articulate Quaker doctrine and discipline. This collection of various manuscript (handwritten) epistles was compiled from the Friends Historical Library from different sources.
Dates: 1688 - 1973
Overview Patricia Loring was a Quaker author, teacher, and retreat leader, most active in her related work in the 1980s and 1990s. She was the author of a widely read Quaker spiritual guide, Listening Spirituality, vols. 1 and 2. For eight years her ministry was supported by Bethesda Friends Meeting, Bethesda, Maryland. This collection includes a variety of Patricia Loring's papers, largely beginning when she joined the Religious Society of Friends. Much of the collection consists of papers from...
Dates: 1982 - 2015
Overview The Society of Friends or Quakers (the terms are synonymous) was founded in the middle of the seventeenth century in England by George Fox and others. The Friends Historical Library has collected Quaker disciplines since its founding in 1871. FHL is also the official repository for the records of seven American yearly meetings.
Overview Research relating to Quaker Meetings in Maryland by Carroll T. Sinclair, including manuscript material and photographs prepared in the mid-20th century.
Dates: circa 1962-1964
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of the single, handwritten document by an unknown author. It reads similiarly to minutes that may have been taken. It also includes a note on the inside that "The Individuals to whose names the * is attached in the following sheets were acive and influential "Hicksites" at the time or afterwards" [Emphasis theirs].
"Education of the Freedmen By Philadelphia and Baltimore Quakers During the Civil War and Reconstruction Period"
Scope and Content note This collection is comprised of the single volume manuscript of Frank O. Wargny's 1947 M.A. thesis at John Hopkins University, entitled, "Education of the Freedmen by Baltimore Quakers during the Civil War and Reconstruction Period." The manuscript describes the efforts of Philadelphia and Baltimore area Quakers to provide education to freed slaves during and after the Civil War. It provides a brief history of Philadelphia area Quakers' abolition efforts prior to the Civil War, including the...
Overview The George Webb and Eleanor Brooks Webb papers include the extensive journals, correspondence, and other papers of Baltimore Quakers Eleanor and George Webb. Eleanor's detailed journals cover most of her life -- from her 12th year until her death in 1997. Also of particular interest are the correspondence, album, photographs, and other records of George work in Civilian Public Service during World War II.
- Names: Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 8
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 5
- Baltimore (Md.) 2
- Epistles 2
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 2
- Quaker women 2
- Quakers 2
- Quakers -- History 2
- Quakers -- Ireland 2
- Quakers -- Maryland 2
- Society of Friends -- Education 2
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- History -- Sources 2
- minutes (administrative records) 2
- African Americans -- Education 1
- Antislavery movements -- United States 1
- Indians of North America -- Education 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Peace 1
- Quaker authors -- 20th century 1
- Quaker church buildings -- Pictorial works 1
- Quakers -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Correspondence 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- Maryland -- Baltimore 1
- Quakers -- United States 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) 1
- Slavery -- United States 1
- Society of Friends -- Discipline 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- Maryland 1
- Society of Friends -- United States 1
- Society of Friends -- Virginia 1
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 1
- Spirituality -- Society of Friends 1
- Temperance 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1 ∧ less