Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview Records deal with the work of Friends in running mission stations in Oklahoma among the Iowa, Modoc, Kickapoo, Oto, Shawnee, Osage and other Native Americans. Letters from superintendents and missionaries in the field describe the difficulties and experiences of Friends in their work. Topics discussed include attempts to Christianize the Native Americans, improve living conditions, Native American education, use of peyote and alcohol, disease, Native American dances, conflicts with other...
Overview A journal kept during David Bacon's time with the Six Nations in 1794. Entries describe Bacon’s journey to the Six Nations territory, and interactions between himself and the members of the Six Nations, as well as discussions between representatives from the United States and Six Nations governments concerning the treaty that was to determine the land rights of the Six Nations after the end of the Revolutionary War. Bacon also includes his accounts of speeches given by both United States...
Overview This collection is comprised of the handwritten correspondence and a handwritten copy of the manuscript "Some Account of my Journey Among the Seneca" by Halliday Jackson.
Overview The majority of this collection is comprised of the handwritten copies of speeches made by Native American leaders, as well as a single letter addressed to "Friends residing among the Indians." Though the materials are undated, they likely date to the 1790s-1810s, and the majority of the speeches make mention of the Seneca nation, and refer to Cornplanter, a Seneca leader. The speeches include both those given by Quakers to Native American audiences and those made by Native American leaders.
Overview Primarily the letters of the Quaker Scattergood family detailing daily life in the Philadelphia area and touching on issues of dress. There is a also a letter of Joseph Scattergood from Tunesassa, New York, telling of his work with Cornplanter's Native Americans. As well, there is a diary kept by Ann Sellers from 1853 to 1856 and a cookbook, circa 1800.
Dates: circa 1800-1876
Overview Entries describe Sharpless's travel to, and time spent in, Cornplanter's village during 1798.
Dates: 1798, 1965
Overview Henry Simmons was a Quaker missionary to the Seneca Nation and a member Middletown Monthly Meeting. Henry Simmons's journals are related to time Simmons spent with the Oneida and Seneca tribes.
Overview Joel Swayne's diary entries describe his journey to the Seneca nation and the two years he spent there. Swayne provides detailed descriptions of the chief, “Cornplanter,” the chief’s family, the village and villagers, cultural differences between the Quakers and the Senecas, the difficulty of the language barrier, and discussions between Quaker missionaries and Seneca members.
- Names: Cornplanter, Seneca chief X
- Indians of North America 6
- Indians of North America -- Missions 6
- Quakers -- Diaries 5
- Seneca Indians 5
- diaries 5
- Quakers -- History 4
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 3
- travel literature 3
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 2
- Quakers -- Travel 2
- Six Nations -- History 2
- Society of Friends -- Missions 2
- correspondence 2
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 1
- Indians of North America -- Oklahoma 1
- Kickapoo Indians -- History 1
- Modoc Indians -- History 1
- Osage Indians -- History 1
- Oto Indians -- History 1
- Quaker missionaries 1
- Shawnee Indians -- History 1
- cookbooks 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1 ∧ less
- Simmons, Henry 4
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 3
- Sharpless, Joshua 3
- Jackson, Halliday, 1771-1835 2
- Bacon, David 1
- Kelsey, Rayner Wickersham 1
- Pennock, John 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- Scattergood family 1
- Scattergood, Joseph 1
- Sniffen, Matthew K. 1
- Steere, Jonathan M. 1
- Swayne, Joel 1
- Test, Elizabeth 1
- United States. Office of Indian Affairs. Central Superintendency 1
- Waln, Joseph 1
- Welsh, Herbert, 1851-1941 1
- Wistar, Edward Morris (1852-1941) 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1
- Wood, Carolena Morris, 1871-1936 1 ∧ less