Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview The Coffin family were Quakers of Wayne County, Indiana. Elijah Coffin was born in 1793 in Guilford County, N.C., the son of Bethuel and Hannah Dicks Coffin. His son and daughter-in-law, Charles F. and Rhoda M. Coffin were active in the peace movement, prison reform, reform of the treatment of the insane, and the temperance movement. Father and son both served as Clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting. The collection contains family correspondence, journals, business papers, and miscellaneous...
Overview Ernest Votaw (1894-1988) was the Quaker administrator of a child feeding program in Germany in 1919-1922. The collection contains reports and related materials (some in German) of the Friends Feeding Mission, 1910-1923, other activities of the American Friends Service Committee, and reference material collected by Ernest Votaw in post-war Germany concerning jail conditions and other social problems. The collection also includes a small amount of correspondence and four articles written by...
Overview Contains the papers of Aaron White (1793-1863) and his family. He was a birthright member of Pasquotank Monthly Meeting, N.C., and transferred to Milford Monthly Meeting, Indiana, in 1829. The Whites were active in Quaker affairs and concerns, including abolition and controversies within Indiana Yearly Meeting. Aaron, as the oldest son in his family, played a central role in the family both in business and personal matters. The bulk of the collection is the correspondence of Aaron and Margaret...
Scope and Contents This collection contains typed research notes by an unknown person. Previously they were referred to as extracts, however they are not formal printed extracts. The notes are from Yearly and Monthly Meetings, including Baltimore Yearly Meeting, Indiana Yearly Meeting, and Ohio Yearly Meeting. Many of the notes either are categorized by topic, or include topical indices.
Overview This collection consists of Epistles from England, Ireland, and the United States.
Overview Contemporary copies of epistles and extracts of Yearly Meeting minutes, and of Women Friends, of London, Dublin, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Virginia, Rhode Island from 1698-1842.
Dates: 1668 - 1940
- Names: Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox: 1828- ) X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 3
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 3
- Quakers -- Indiana 3
- Quaker women 2
- Quakers -- Ireland 2
- Quakers -- North Carolina 2
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- History -- Sources 2
- Temperance 2
- Antislavery movements -- United States 1
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Indians of North America 1
- International relief -- Germany 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Mental illness -- Treatment -- History 1
- Peace 1
- Prison reformers 1
- Quakers -- New England 1
- Reconstruction (1914–1939) 1
- Slavery -- North Carolina 1
- Slavery -- United States 1
- Social reformers 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1
- Society of Friends -- International assistance -- Germany 1
- Wayne County (Ind.) 1
- genealogies (histories) 1
- minutes (administrative records) 1 ∧ less