Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Overview Elias Hicks (1748-1830) was an eminent Quaker minister from Jericho, Long Island, N.Y. In the 1820s, a religious controversy within the Society of Friends which focused on Hicks' ministry led to the Hicksite-Orthodox Separation of 1827-1828. The collection includes correspondence written and received by Elias Hicks, sermons, surveyor's drawings, family correspondence, and other papers. Also includes the original 1748-1822 manuscript journal of Elias Hicks (in three parts) and the 1828 Ohio...
Dates: 1779 - 1948; Majority of material found within 1779 - 1830
Abstract Includes letters, sermons, and manuscript fragments, as well as an 1824 printed epistle from London Yearly Meeting. The papers provide important insight into Kersey's faith and his thoughts on the Separation in the Society of Friends.
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania 1
- Society of Friends -- Sermons 1 ∧ less
- Churchman, George, 1730-1814 1
- Ferris, Benjamin, 1780-1867 1
- Fisher, Samuel Rowland, 1745-1834 1
- Garrigues, Edward, 1756-1845 1
- Hicks, Edward, 1780-1849 1