Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Overview Samuel Allinson was a Quaker active in early New Jersey politics. The commonplace book of Samuel Allinson includes reflections on a variety of topics, including: Jealousy, Constancy and Fortitude, Human Trouble or Infelicity, Deceit, Novels, Romances, Riches and Poverty, Parents and Children, Women, and Marriage. He also includes remarks on slavery (p. 71), and extracts of poetry.
Identifier: HC.MC-1177-addition 1
Overview This addition consists of over 240 letters between Caroline Cadbury (1851-1914) and Thomas Kite Brown (1851-1929) during their engagement. There are also letters between Caroline's parents Richard Cadbury (1825-1897) and Lydia Comfort Shinn (1828-1904) during their own engagement, as well as later letters from Caroline to her family.
Overview This collection is comprised of the single letterbook of Dr. Rowland Greene, a Quaker minister from Rhode Island. The volume contains personal correspondence; the majority of letters are addressed to Greene's wife and children while he was away from home on religious visits. Topics covered in Greene's correspondence include descriptions of his travels, meetings he attended, social calls made, and family news.
Overview The commonplace book of Seiju Hirakawa inlcudes extracts of poetry and religious reflection on the occasion of the Hirakawa’s 50th wedding anniversary. Excerpts and quotations are arranged by topic, and cover topics such as friendship, teachers and pupils, self-expression, books, and pride. The volume also includes a personal reflection marriage, presumably written by Hirakawa.
Scope and Content note This collection is comprised of three volumes of an index created by Hannah M. Jones, given to her aunt, Mary Ann Jones. The indexes include the deaths and marriages of Quakers, copied from The Friend, and arranged alphabetically.
Overview This collection is comprised of Quaker marriage certificates from various Quaker families.
Dates: 1600s-1898, undated
Overview Daisy Newman's novel, "Indian Summer of the Heart," is the sequel to "I take thee, Serenity," and focuses on two entwined love stories. The first story is that of the continuing story of Peter and Serenity Holland, married at the end of the earlier book, as they face the difficult stresses of building two careers while also trying to meet the needs of Ross, their little boy. The other love story is that of Oliver Otis, a 78 year old widower, and Peter and Serenity's mentor, and Loveday Mead,...
Overview Henry Russell's diary entries describe social calls, attendance at Quaker Meetings, personal and religious reflection, prayers, and reminiscences about his wife.
Overview This scrapbook is comprised of reports from Quarterly Meetings, copies of letters and documents concerning marriages, and articles written by George Fox.
- Quakers -- History 9
- Quakers 7
- Quakers -- Diaries 3
- Quakers -- Family relationships 3
- correspondence 3
- diaries 3
- Child rearing -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 2
- commonplace books 2
- Antislavery movements -- United States 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Christianity 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 1
- Kickapoo Indians -- History 1
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 1
- Osage Indians -- History 1
- Peace 1
- Quaker women -- United States 1
- Quakers -- Massachusetts -- History 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Rhode Island 1
- Seneca Indians 1
- Slavery -- United States 1
- Slavery and the church -- Society of Friends 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- Japan 1
- Temperance 1
- Women authors 1
- indexes (reference sources) 1
- letters (correspondence) 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1
- marriage certificates 1
- minutes (administrative records) 1
- scrapbooks 1 ∧ less
- Allinson family 1
- Allinson, Francis Greenleaf 1
- Allinson, Samuel, 1739-1791 1
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Brown family 1
- Brown, Caroline Cadbury, 1851-1914 1
- Brown, Thomas Kite, 1851-1929 1
- Cadbury family 1
- Fox, George 1
- Greene, Rowland 1
- Hirakawa, Seiju 1
- Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox: 1828- ) 1
- Jones, Hannah M. 1
- Jones, Mary Ann 1
- Morley, Christopher 1
- Newman, Daisy 1
- Russell, Henry 1
- Tangye, Richard, Sir 1
- Taylor family 1
- Taylor, Charles S. (Charles Shoemaker), 1850-1939 1
- Taylor, Gertrude Allinson, 1862-1948 1
- Westtown Boarding School 1
- Whitall, Ann Cooper 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1 ∧ less