Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Overview Joel Bean (1835-1914) and his wife, Hannah Elliott Bean (1830-1909), were prominent Quaker ministers in Iowa Yearly Meeting in the mid-nineteenth century when Quaker settlements were expanding in Iowa. Joel Bean was born in Alton, New Hampshire, in 1825, the son of John and Elizabeth Hill Bean, and educated at Friends Boarding School in Providence, Rhode Island. He migrated to Iowa in 1853, and taught school at West Branch, Iowa, from 1850 to 1861. In 1859, he married Hannah Elliott Shipley in...
Overview Anna M. Jackson and her daughter, Anna M. (Jackson Branson) Theiss, were Quaker activists in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Anna M. Jackson was very involved in reform activities in New York City. She served as Chairman of the Women's Prison Reform Committee, and was also involved in the Women's Municipal League and the Political Study Club. Her daughter, Anna Morris Jackson, attended Swarthmore College for two years, and in 1909 earned a B.S. in Education from Columbia University. Anna was...
Abstract This collection includes original manuscripts collected by Hi Doty relating to early Quaker involvement in Indian affairs from 1756 to 1821 and the Friendly Association. Of particular interest are documents concerning the settlement at Oneida and the Treaty of Easton. Correspondents include Tedyuscung, Nathaniel Holland, Frederick Post, John Hunt, William Cooper, Israel Chapin, William Savery, James Pemberton, and Joseph Elkinton. Also included in the collection are several letters written by...
Abstract Collection of original poetry written by and/or about Quakers, their beliefs, and their places of worship. Included are poems by Rebeca Smedley, Elizabeth Biddle Conrow, and Joseph Conrow, a biography in verse of Thomas and Elizabeth Robson by their grandson Joseph J. Green, a meditation on Spruce St. Monthly Meeting by Joseph Wharton, and an account of the 1843 Women's New York Yearly Meeting by Amanda K. Clark. Also included are poems concerning J.J. Gurney, Elias Hicks, and Robert Barclay's...
Overview Reproductions of photographs, documents, and objects used as book illustrations or in exhibits. Most of the original photographs, documents, and objects are at FHL but some are from other repositories.
Dates: 1981 - 1998
- Quaker women 2
- Charities -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Delaware Indians 1
- Indians of North America -- History -- 18th century 1
- Oneida Indians 1
- Poetry -- Women authors -- 19th century 1
- Prison reformers 1
- Quaker authors 1
- Quaker youth 1
- Quakers -- 19th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Abolitionists 1
- Quakers -- Australia 1
- Quakers -- California 1
- Quakers -- England -- 19th century 1
- Quakers -- Hawaii 1
- Quakers -- Iowa -- 19th century 1
- Quakers -- Ireland -- 19th century 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Poetry 1
- Quakers -- Scotland -- 19th century 1
- Seneca Indians 1
- Social reformers 1
- Society of Friends -- England -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Iowa -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- California 1
- Society of Friends -- Ireland -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Scotland -- 19th century 1
- United States -- History -- Colonial period -- ca. 1600-1775 1
- Women and peace 1
- publications (documents) 1 ∧ less