Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Overview Martha Schofield (1839-1916) was a Hicksite Quaker teacher from Pennsylvania who founded the Schofield Normal and Industrial School in Aiken, S. C., in 1868 to provide education for formerly enslaved people. The School gradually evolved into a boarding school for training young blacks in industrial trades or to become teachers. It was absorbed into the public school system in 1952. Martha Fell Schofield was born Feb. 1, 1839, near Newtown, Bucks County, PA. She was the daughter of Oliver W....
Dates: 1853-1944 (bulk 1856-1916)
- Library: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College X
- Names: Schofield, Martha X
- Names: Schofield Normal and Industrial School (Aiken, S.C.) X
- Subject: African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina -- Aiken X
- Subject: African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina -- History -- 19th century X