Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Overview The Schofield Normal and Industrial School was founded in 1868 by Martha Schofield (1839-1916), a Pennsylvania Quaker. Her intention initially was to provide education for formerly enslaved people. The School gradually evolved into a boarding school for training young blacks in industrial trades or to become teachers. It was absorbed into the public school system in 1952. The collection contains minutes of the board of trustees (1886-1942), legal documents, financial records, correspondence and...
- Library: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College X
- Names: Schofield, Martha X
- Subject: Quakers -- Social life and customs X
- Subject: Aiken (S.C.) -- Social conditions -- History -- 19th century X
- Subject: African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina X
- Subject: Vocational education -- South Carolina X