Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Overview Journals, correspondence, and miscellaneous papers of the Russell, Pownall and Walton families of Pennsylvania. Of particular interest is material relating to the Swarthmore Chatauqua and to Swarthmore College.
Overview The Pownall and Walton were Pennsylvania Quaker families who came to reside in Delaware County. The bulk of the collection involves Charles Regnier Russell and his wife, Ruth Elizabeth Pownall. Charles (1901–1955) and Ruth (1900–1983) Russell were longtime residents of Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, and were graduates of Swarthmore College in the Class of 1923. This collection includes loose family photographs, family photo albums, railroad photographs, and some photographs of Swarthmore College.
Dates: 1871 - 1949
Overview The Swayne family were Quakers of southern Chester County, Pennsylvania. The Swayne family picture collection contains, albums, framed photographs, and loose photographs that date from the late nineteenth to the early twentieth centuries and which contain a variety of different photograph types (tintypes, cabinet cards, color prints, etc.).
Dates: 1867 - 1966
Overview The Waltons were a Quaker family from Byberry, Pennsylvania, and the Philadelphia area, including Swarthmore. The lines represented in this collection were descended from Benjamin Walton (1701-1753) and Rebecca Homer Walton (d. 1783), of Abington Monthly Meeting and Byberry. The collection includes business and estate papers, mostly of Israel Walton (1789-1863), a diary of Mary D. Walton (1832-1915) which includes a roll book of Fallowfield Monthly Meeting First Day School, albums and verse by...
Overview The Waltons were prominent Quakers in Philadelphia, Pa., and Belmont County, Ohio. Joseph Walton (1817-1898) taught at Westtown School, edited the Quaker periodical, The Friend, and served as Clerk of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox). His brother, Samuel Walton (1827-1899), moved to Ohio in 1847 and in 1854 married Sarah James Edgerton at Stillwater Monthly Meeting, the center of Wilburite Quakerism in Ohio. The family was deeply involved in matters relating to the Society of Friends....
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 2
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Chautauquas -- History 1
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Photography -- History 1
- Quakers -- 19th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Albums (Books) 1
- Quakers -- Ohio 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Delaware County 1
- Quakers -- Portraits 1
- Quakers -- Social service 1
- Society of Friends -- Customs and practices 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Sermons 1
- Society of Friends -- Testimonies and concerns 1
- Society of Friends -- Wilburite controversy 1
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 1
- Swarthmore (Pa.) -- History 1 ∧ less