Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Abstract This collection includes original manuscripts collected by Hi Doty relating to early Quaker involvement in Indian affairs from 1756 to 1821 and the Friendly Association. Of particular interest are documents concerning the settlement at Oneida and the Treaty of Easton. Correspondents include Tedyuscung, Nathaniel Holland, Frederick Post, John Hunt, William Cooper, Israel Chapin, William Savery, James Pemberton, and Joseph Elkinton. Also included in the collection are several letters written by...
Friendly Association for Regaining and Preserving Peace with the Indians by Pacific Measures records
Abstract Correspondence, including that with civil and military authorities, accounts of preliminary meetings with Indian delegates, and invoices, relating to the Treaty of Easton.
Collection — Container: Folder
Overview Fragments and copies of manuscripts concerning Quaker (probably Philadelphia Yearly Meeting) activities relating to Native American. Some of these may be contemporary manuscript copies of documents in the Friendly Association or the Indian Committee records.
Dates: 1761 - 1839
Abstract This collection contains correspondence received by English Quaker Jonah Thompson. The bulk of these are written by Friends in Pennsylvania, relating the developing conflict between the Pennsylvania government and the Delaware Indians, and expressing concern with the role Quakers should have in a military defense of the colony. Included is a detailed account of developments regarding this issue in the Pennsylvania government by James Pemberton. Other prominent Philadelphia correspondents...
Abstract This collection primarily includes photocopies of receipts and contracts between Thomas Penn and various individuals concerning the Walking Purchase.
- Friendly Association for Regaining and Preserving Peace with the Indians by Pacific Measures 3
- Pemberton, James, 1723-1809 2
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Committee Appointed for the Gradual Civilization and Welfare of the Indian Natives (1795-1827) 2
- Bean, Hannah E. (Hannah Elliott), 1830-1909 1
- Bean, Joel, 1825-1914 1
- Chapin, Israel 1
- Churchman, George, 1730-1814 1
- Cooper, Milton William 1
- Doe Run Valley Books (Dealer) 1
- Doty, Hiram, 1913-1988 1
- Elkinton, Joseph, 1794-1868 1
- Fothergill, Samuel 1
- Holland, Nathaniel 1
- Hunt, John, 1740-1824 1
- Logan, Hannah, 1723-1777 1
- Pemberton, Hannah, 1734-1764 1
- Penn, Thomas, 1702-1775 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1837-1850) 1
- Post, Christian Frederick, 1710?-1785 1
- Savery, William, 1750-1804 1
- Smith, John, 1722-1771 1
- Teedyuscung, Delaware chief, 1700-1763 1
- Thompson, Jonah, 1702 or 1703-1780 1
- Wistar, Margaret, 1728?-1793 1 ∧ less