Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Abstract Includes: Her drawings and writings, 1959-1991, including a publication entitled Tide Pools.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1959-1991-1985-1991
Overview Dorothea Johnson Blom (1911-1991) was a Quaker writer, artist, and teacher. She became a member of the Society of Friends in 1937 at Chappaqua Monthly Meeting, subsequently transferring to Purchase Monthly Meeting. She co-authored nine books and taught courses at Pendle Hill and other schools in art history and art appreciation with an emphasis on the Jungian concept of growth and spiritual needs. The collection contains her letters to her friend Liza B. ("Betty") Lewis, 1961-1975, reflecting...
Overview This collection is composed of the draft manuscript of the memoirs and journal of Edward Hicks and related miscellaneous papers. Included are his drafts of the first pages of the memoirs, photocopies of letters and sermons of Hicks relating to the Hicksite Separation, abolition, and Quaker spirituality. Also included are a typescript copy of Samuel Johnson's letter to Edward Hicks on slavery, the original of Hicks' responses, and a letter from Isaac Parry to Benjamin Ferris after the death of...
Dates: 1836 - 1952; Majority of material found within 1836 - 1849
Overview The Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts was founded in 1993 "to nurture and showcase the literary, visual, musical and performing arts within the Society of Friends, for the purpose of Quaker expression, ministry, witness and outreach," according to the group's mission statement. The collection contains the records of the Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts from its founding in 1993 until 1998, including administrative documents, newsletters, and member information.
Abstract This collection contains the research notes made by Alice Ford for her book, Edward Hicks Painter of the Peaceable Kingdom. These notes include genealogical information on the Hicks family and on several of his correspondents. Also included are typescripts of letters of Edward Hicks and his family. Among the correspondents are Emmor Kimber, John Comly, Elias Hicks, Benjamin and Richard Price, Elias Hicks, and Thomas McClintock. Topics include family news, issues of Quaker Spirituality, and the...
Dates: c. 1952
Abstract This collection is composed of miscellaneous papers concerning Edward Hicks. Included are a draft of the first pages of his memoirs, later published, and contura prints of letters and sermons of Hicks, relating to the Hicksite Separation, abolition, and Quaker spirituality. Also included are a typescript copy of Samuel Johnson's letter to Edward Hicks on slavery, the original of Hicks' responses, and a letter from Isaac Parry to Benjamin Ferris after the death of Edward Hicks, concerning the...
Overview Eleanore Price Mather (1910-1985) was a Quaker writer and editor from Rose Valley, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of Walter Ferris and Felicia Thomas Price. She married Robert Worrell Mather and was a member of Providence Monthly Meeting. This collection contains primarily papers concerning Eleanore Price Mather's book, lectures, and articles on the Quaker painter, Edward Hicks.
Overview The Ladies Art Association was founded in New York City in 1867, and its members were involved in studio art and art education. Many of its members and officers were Quakers. The collection contains the Association's constitution, publicity materials, correspondence (1887-1914), and other records.
Collection — Folder: 1
Overview This small collection contains drawings by Lucy Sikes, a Brooklyn, New York, Quaker artist, and her email correspondence with Friends Historial Library with printed attachments. Her drawings, often drawn during meeting sessions, appeared in Spark, the newsletter of New York Yearly Meeting, and other Quaker publications.
Dates: 1989 - 2014
Overview The collection contains typescripts of lectures written by Pulitzer Prize winning political cartoonist Signe Wilkinson. Most are autobiographical and reflect her Quaker beliefs as well as activism through art. The papers are annotated and often include doodles and sketches.
Dates: 1997 - 2020
- Quaker artists 9
- Art, Quaker 3
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 3
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 3
- Art -- New York (State) -- New York 2
- Arts and religion -- Society of Friends 2
- Quaker artists -- Pennsylvania 2
- Society of Friends -- Antislavery movement 2
- Society of Friends -- Sermons 2
- Adult education of women -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Aesthetics -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Art -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Art -- New York (State) -- New York -- Societies, etc. 1
- Art -- Study and Teaching -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Arts, Quaker -- Pennsylvania 1
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Political aspects 1
- Diaries 1
- Diaries -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Folk art -- Pennsylvania 1
- Lay ministry -- Pennsylvania 1
- Nature -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Quaker authors 1
- Quaker women -- 20th century 1
- Quaker women -- Education -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quaker women -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- Maryland 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- Westchester County 1
- Society of Friends -- Art 1
- Society of Friends -- Clergy 1
- Women -- Education -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Women -- New York (State) -- New York -- Societies and clubs 1
- Women -- New York (State) -- New York -- Societies, etc. 1
- Women artists 1
- Women artists -- United States 1 ∧ less
- Hicks, Edward, 1780-1849 4
- Ford, Alice, 1906- 2
- Johnson, Samuel, 1763-1843? 2
- Parry, Isaac, 1774-1857 2
- Birckhead, Mary B. 1
- Blom, Dorothea Johnson, -1911 1
- Comly, John, 1773-1850 1
- Donlevy, Alice 1
- Dorothea Johnson Blom 1
- Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts 1
- Hicks family 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Hough, Oliver, 1804-1855 1
- Kimber, Emmor, 1775-1850 1
- Ladies Art Association (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Lewis, Eliza B. 1
- Mather, Eleanore Price (1910-1985) 1
- McClintock, Thomas, 1792?-1876 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Pendle Hill (School: Wallingford, Pa.) 1
- Price, Benjamin, 1793-1872 1
- Price, Richard, 1723-1791 1
- Sikes, Lucy, 1937-2017 1
- Turrell, James 1
- Wilkinson, Signe 1 ∧ less