Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview The collection contains a small number of miscellaneous papers relating to efforts within New York Yearly Meeting to support the manumission of enslaved people, abolition, and education of formerly enslaved people, 1778-1870. Most are copies of reports presented to New York Monthly Meeting or to the Yearly Meeting, compiled as a reference file.
Dates: 1778 - 1870
Abstract Contains five letters from Quaker educator Joseph Talcot, including one to New York Yearly Meeting for Sufferings and four to Samuel Parsons (1744-1841), long-time elder and clerk of New York Yearly Meeting. The letters deal with concerns of the Meeting for Suffering and providing literature to Friends in remote quarterly meetings.
Abstract Contains correspondence concerning the gift of Dr. John Unthank of Limerick, Ireland, of £1,000, to be divided between two concerns: first, to the Ohio, Indiana and Baltimore Yearly Meetings to be applied by them through their Indian committees toward promoting the so-called civilization and Christian instruction of Native Americans; and, secondly£250 each to Indiana and Ohio Yearly Meetings toward establishing boarding schools for the children of members. Samuel Parsons of New York Yearly...
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 2
- Church work with Indians 1
- Quaker educators 1
- Quakers -- Abolitionists 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) 1
- Quakers -- Slavery -- Anti-slavery movements 1
- Society of Friends -- Antislavery movement 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) 1
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) -- New York 1 ∧ less
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 2
- Bates, Elisha, 1781-1861 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1955). Meeting for Sufferings 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Meeting for Sufferings 1
- Tallcot, Joseph, 1768-1853 1
- Unthank, John, 1754-1840 1 ∧ less