Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract This collection includes Isaac T. Hopper's original and photocopied letters and his letterbook. Much of the material concerns his bookselling business and the Hicksite separation. He relates news of figures central to the controversy, including Elisha Bates, Elias Hicks, and Anna Braithwaite. Also included is Hopper's copy of the book, The History of the Life of Thomas Elwood.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1833-1902 [ 1833-1845]
Abstract This collection includes the letters of John Lockwood, received primarily from Aaron Leggett in 1827-28. Leggett, a Hicksite, relates business, news, and personal opinions concerning the Hicksite controversy in New York Yearly Meeting. His letters contain heated attacks on Orthodox Quakers, including Samuel Parsons, the Clerk of New York Monthly Meeting, Richard Mott, and Anna Braithwaite. He also gives news of Elias Hicks and of the progress of the Indiana Epistle.
Abstract This collection includes personal correspondence between Mary B. Parsons and members of the Braithwaite family, primarily Anna and Isaac Braithwaite. Letters concern family matters and, occasionally, meeting activities at Flushing and Kendal and news of Joseph Gurney and Elizabeth Fry. Other correspondents include J. Bevan Braithwaite and Martha G. Braithwaite.
- Quakers -- New York (State) 2
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- Bookstores -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quakers -- England 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 2
- Bates, Elisha, 1781-1861 1
- Braithwaite family 1
- Braithwaite, Isaac, 1781-1861 1
- Braithwaite, J. Bevan (Joseph Bevan), 1818-1905 1
- Braithwaite, Martha, 1823-1895 1
- Fry, Elizabeth Gurney, 1780-1845 1
- Gurney, Joseph John, 1788-1847 1
- Hopper, Isaac T. (Isaac Tatem), 1771-1852 1
- Leggett, Aaron, 1792-1860 1
- Lockwood, John, 1793?-1859 1
- Mott, Richard, 1767-1856 1
- Parsons, Mary B., 1813-1878 1
- Parsons, Samuel, 1774-1841 1 ∧ less