Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Overview Christopher Densmore served as Curator of Friends Historical Library, retiring in 2018. This collection includes his raw research materials as well as completed papers.
Abstract This collection includes original manuscripts collected by Hi Doty relating to early Quaker involvement in Indian affairs from 1756 to 1821 and the Friendly Association. Of particular interest are documents concerning the settlement at Oneida and the Treaty of Easton. Correspondents include Tedyuscung, Nathaniel Holland, Frederick Post, John Hunt, William Cooper, Israel Chapin, William Savery, James Pemberton, and Joseph Elkinton. Also included in the collection are several letters written by...
Abstract This collection includes the papers and correspondence of the Fussell and Lewis famlies. The latter relate primarily family and local news. Of particular interest are several letters by Graceanna Lewis denouncing slavery, an account of the response in New York Yearly Meeting to the disownment of Isaac T. Hopper, and correspondence relating an encounter with the Seneca Indians. Other letters include those written to Mariann Lewis by friends from Kimberton Boarding School, some of which relate to...
Dates: 1836-1938-bulk 1836-1866
Overview Zebedee Haines (1843-1923) was a Quaker who was active in the work of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends and of its Indian Committee in the late 19th century. Zebedee was also a student, teacher, administrator, and school committee member at Westtown School. The Haines family ran a dairy farm in West Grove, Pennsylvania. The collection contains family correspondence and diaries. Also includes letters of Zebedee Haines to his wife, describing his visits to Tunesassa and to native...
Overview Halliday Jackson (1771-1835) was a Quaker minister from New Garden and Darby, Pa.. From 1798 to 1800 he joined the Quaker mission to the Seneca Indians organized by the Indian Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Shortly after his return from the mission to the Seneca, Halliday Jackson married Jane Hough and moved to Darby, Pa. Following Jane's death in 1830, Halliday Jackson remarried in 1833 to Ann P. Paschall (1792-1874), also a Quaker minister. These records contain documents relating...
Overview John Jackson (1809-1855), son of Halliday and Jane Jackson of Darby, Pennsylvania, married Rachel Tyson (1807?-1883), daughter of Isaac Tyson of Baltimore, Maryland, in 1832. Together they established the Sharon Female Academy in Delaware County, Pa. John Jackson was a Quaker minister and served on the Joint Committee on Indian Affairs. Collection contains correspondence and other papers, 1827-1849. Series I is made up primarily of correspondence and drafts of correspondence between Griffith M....
Joint Committee on Indian Affairs of the Four Yearly Meetings of Genesee, Baltimore, New York and Philadelphia
Overview The Indian Committees of New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Genesee (Hicksite) united in 1838 to protect the Seneca Indians from the Ogden Land Company which was trying to buy their land. This collection contains papers relating to the joint committee of representatives, including correspondence chiefly concerning the ceding of Seneca lands in New York by treaty under questionable circumstances. Correspondents include Benjamin Ferris (1780-1867).
Abstract This collection includes papers of Edith R. Solenberger, concerning her involvement in the Kinzua Project of the Indian Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Included are letters regarding the Seneca Indians, and letters regarding their legal representation.
Overview The Amna C. Stabler Family Papers are a collection of miscellaneous manuscripts relating to Quakers and the Society of Friends in southeastern New York State.
- Ferris, Benjamin, 1780-1867 2
- Jackson, John, 1809-1855 2
- Joint Committee on Indian Affairs of the Four Yearly Meetings of Baltimore, Genesee, New York, and Philadelphia (Society of Friends : Hicksite) 2
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955) 2
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1837-1850) 2
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Indian Committee 2
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1968). Committee on Indian Concerns 1
- Bean, Hannah E. (Hannah Elliott), 1830-1909 1
- Bean, Joel, 1825-1914 1
- Bowne family 1
- Bowne, John, 1627-1695 1
- Chapin, Israel 1
- Collins, Micajah, 1764-1827 1
- Cooper, Griffith M., 1790?-1864. 1
- Cooper, Milton William 1
- Densmore, Christopher 1
- Dillwyn, George, 1738-1820 1
- Doty, Hiram, 1913-1988 1
- Elkinton, Joseph, 1794-1868 1
- Friendly Association for Regaining and Preserving Peace with the Indians by Pacific Measures 1
- Friends Boarding School for Indian Children (Tunesassa, N.Y.) 1
- Fussell, Alice, 1871-1955 1
- Fussell, Linnaeus, 1842-1907 1
- Garrigues, Edward, 1756-1845 1
- Genesee Yearly Meeting of Friends 1
- Haines, Anna P. (Anna Philips), 1849-1924 1
- Haines, Mary Elizabeth, 1886-1920 1
- Haines, T. Harvey (Thomas Harvey), b. 1871 1
- Haines, Zebedee, 1843-1923 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Hoag, Joseph, 1762-1846 1
- Holland, Nathaniel 1
- Hopper, Isaac T. (Isaac Tatem), 1771-1852 1
- Hunt family 1
- Hunt, John, 1740-1824 1
- Jackson, Halliday, 1771-1835 1
- Jackson, Rachel, 1807?-1883 1
- Kersey, Jesse, 1768-1845 1
- Kimberton Boarding School 1
- Lewis, Graceanna, 1821-1912 1
- Lewis, Mariann, 1819-1866 1
- McClintock, Thomas, 1792?-1876 1
- Monthly Meeting of New York (Society of Friends : approximately 1671-1828 : New York, N.Y.) 1
- New York Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1957 : New York, N.Y.) 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1955). Indian Committee 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite: 1828-1955) 1
- Parsons, Samuel, 1774-1841 1
- Pemberton, James, 1723-1809 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955). Joint Committee on Indian Affairs (1869-1892) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Committee Appointed for the Gradual Civilization and Welfare of the Indian Natives (1795-1827) 1
- Poole, William, 1764-1829 1
- Post, Christian Frederick, 1710?-1785 1
- Savery, William, 1750-1804 1
- Seaman, David, 1791-1844 1
- Sharon Female Academy 1
- Solenberger, Edith R. (Edith Reeves), 1886-1976 1
- Stabler, Amna C. 1
- Teedyuscung, Delaware chief, 1700-1763 1
- Warner, Joseph, d. 1859 1
- Westtown Boarding School 1 ∧ less