Skip to main content Skip to search results
Archives & Manuscripts

Showing Collections: 11 - 19 of 19

Grandom Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-040
Overview The Grandom Institution was a charity established in 1841 through the will of Hartt Grandom, a Philadelphia Quaker, to provide fuel, clothing, and financial assistance to poor Philadelphians. The collection contains minutes, reports, legal, and financial records, as well as similar records of two affiliated but independent organizations, the Fuel Savings Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Soup House and records pertaining to the William Keinath Fund, an...
Dates: 1765-1971

Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-044
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Dates: 1859-1907

Howard Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-045
Overview The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.
Dates: 1857-1956

Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton (Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-072
Overview The Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton was a largely Quaker women's society, founded in 1846 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, to provide clothing and other necessities to destitute poor. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with groups to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association was disbanded five years later. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association then turned its support to the...
Dates: 1846-1977

Philadelphia Friends Housing Inc. records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-130
Overview Records of Philadelphia Friends Housing Inc., an independent corporation affiliated with Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting of Friends. The corporation raised and lent money for urban redevelopment in Philadelphia.
Dates: 1967-1982

Richard Humphreys Foundation Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-059
Overview The Richard Humphreys Foundation was created as the result of a bequest of Richard Humphreys (1750-1832), a Philadelphia Quaker who left funds for the establishment of a school for blacks in Philadelphia. The school was founded as the Institute for Colored Youth. A group of Quakers, known first as the Association and after 1842 as the Corporation, oversaw the Institute. Actual management was performed by a board of managers who reported to the Corporation. The Corporation was successively known...
Dates: 1837-1982

Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys (Cheyney, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-043
Overview Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.
Dates: 1855-1956

The Northern Association of the City and County of Philadelphia for the Relief and Employment of Poor Women records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-053
Overview This Hicksite Quaker women's charity was organized in 1844 and incorporated in 1856. Its mission was to provide employment in sewing for poor women. Lucretia Mott served as president until 1866. The Association went out of existence in 1926. The collection contains legal documents, financial records, membership list (1849-1872), reports, correspondence, and related papers.
Dates: 1841-1929

Joseph Wharton Family Papers

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG5-162
Overview Joseph Wharton (1826-1909) was a prominent Philadelphia Quaker merchant, industrialist, scientist, and philanthropist who was active in 19th century Delaware Valley manufacturing, business, and education development. The papers cover in depth his business activities as well as his career as Manager of Swarthmore College for over 35 years and as founder of the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce at the University of Pennsylvania. The collection includes business correspondence, 1855-1908, of...
Dates: 1691-1955

Filtered By

  • Library: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College X
  • Subject: Social Service -- Pennsylvania X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Names
Association for the Care of Colored Orphans 2
Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing 2
Aimwell School (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer 1
Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored Persons 1
∨ more
Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Colored Women 1
Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason 1
Beaver Valley General Hospital 1
Beehive School for Colored Children (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Benezet House Association 1
Central Employment Association (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting of Friends 1
Cheyney Training School for Teachers 1
District Nurse Association of New Brighton 1
Eastburn family 1
Eastburn, Margaret Roberts, 1880-1964 1
Fisher family 1
Fisher, Hannah Rodman, 1764-1819 1
Fisher, Jabez Maud, 1750-1779 1
Fisher, Samuel Rowland, 1745-1834 1
Friendly Acres (Secane, Pa.) 1
Friendly Acres Community Services 1
Friendly Settlement Association (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Friends Association for the Care and Protection of Children 1
Friends Mission No.1 (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Friends Neighborhood Guild 1
Friends Shelter for Girls 1
Friends' Boarding House Association (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Friends' Home for Children 1
Fuel Saving Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia 1
Grandom Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Grandom, Hartt, 1778-1840 1
Home for Destitute Colored Children (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Howard Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Humphreys, Richard, 1750-1832 1
Institute for Colored Youth (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Institute for Colored Youth at Cheyney 1
Joseph Sturge Mission School (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton (Pa.) 1
Locust Street Mission Association (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Lovering family 1
Northern Association of the City and County of Philadelphia for the Relief and Employment of Poor Women 1
Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Philadelphia First Day School Union 1
Philadelphia Friends Housing Inc. 1
Philadelphia Society for Supplying the Poor with Soup 1
Philadelphia Soup House 1
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
Richard Humphreys Foundation 1
Smith, Rebecca Smith, 1795-1846 1
Society for the Free Instruction of African Females 1
Society for the Free Instruction of the Black People (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Spring Street Mission (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Spring Street Settlement (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys (Cheyney, Pa.) 1
Swarthmore College 1
The Shelter (Cheyney, Pa.) 1
The Shelter (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
Wharton School 1
Wharton family 1
Wharton, Anna Lovering, 1830-1914 1
Wharton, Deborah Fisher, 1795-1888 1
Wharton, Joseph, 1826-1909 1
Wharton, William, 1790-1856 1
William Keinath Fund 1
∧ less