Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Overview This collection contains the papers of Philadelphia Quaker Owen Biddle (1737-1799), his son, Clement Biddle (1778-1856), and numerous descendants. Owen Biddle, a scientist and merchant, was a member of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting and helped in the establishment of Westtown School (1799). Owen Biddle's papers, 1772-1793, (Series 1) include correspondence, and journals, some of which relate to his Revolutionary War activities. Three of his letterbooks, 1778-1779, have been microfilmed. The...
Overview Kenneth Carroll was a professor of Religious studies at Southern Methodist University in Dallas beginning in 1952. He also spent a sabbatical at Haverford College as the T. Wistar Brown Fellow in 1969 and 1970 and retired to Easton, Maryland, in 1986. Carroll is a recognized authority on the history of the Society of Friends on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia and has written widely on this and other subjects. Collection primarily consists of correspondence related to Carroll's...
Abstract This collection includes the letters of three generations of the Logan family. Among these are business letters of James Logan, in his function as executor of the Dickinson family will, and in reference to Pennsylvania business written to Hannah Penn and his primary business manager. Also included is a letter written to James Logan in Latin on a botanical subject. A business letter from William Logan to Dr. John Fothergill is also included. Of particular interest are letters from George Logan...
Abstract This collection includes original manuscripts collected by Hi Doty relating to early Quaker involvement in Indian affairs from 1756 to 1821 and the Friendly Association. Of particular interest are documents concerning the settlement at Oneida and the Treaty of Easton. Correspondents include Tedyuscung, Nathaniel Holland, Frederick Post, John Hunt, William Cooper, Israel Chapin, William Savery, James Pemberton, and Joseph Elkinton. Also included in the collection are several letters written by...
Abstract This collection includes photocopies of papers relating to Francis Daniel Pastorius in his role as agent for the Frankfort Land Company. In particular they refer to the legal dispute over the ownership of the land in 1708.
Overview Frederick Barnes Tolles (1915-1975), Quaker librarian, teacher, and historian, was Director of Friends Historical Library from 1951-1970, and a member of the Department of History at Swarthmore College. This collection contains the papers of primarily relating to his books and articles on Quaker history and biography, along with other writings, including research notes on a proposed history of Swarthmore College.
Abstract This collection primarily includes photocopies of receipts and contracts between Thomas Penn and various individuals concerning the Walking Purchase.
- Swarthmore College 2
- American Friends Service Committee 1
- Balch, Emily Greene, 1867-1961 1
- Bean, Hannah E. (Hannah Elliott), 1830-1909 1
- Bean, Joel, 1825-1914 1
- Biddle family 1
- Biddle, Clement M. (Clement Miller), 1876-1959 1
- Biddle, Owen, 1737-1799 1
- Biddle, William Canby, 1864-1942 1
- Carroll, Kenneth L. (Kenneth Lane) 1
- Chapin, Israel 1
- Cooper, Milton William 1
- Dickinson family 1
- Doty, Hiram, 1913-1988 1
- Elkinton, Joseph, 1794-1868 1
- Frankfort Land Company 1
- Friendly Association for Regaining and Preserving Peace with the Indians by Pacific Measures 1
- Holland, Nathaniel 1
- Hollingsworth, H. (Henry), 1737-1803 1
- Hunt, John, 1740-1824 1
- James, Dorothy Biddle 1
- John Fothergill 1
- Lewis, Lucy Biddle, 1861- 1
- Logan family 1
- Logan, George, 1753-1821 1
- Logan, James, 1674-1751 1
- Logan, William, 1718-1776 1
- Mifflin, Thomas, 1744-1800 1
- Mott, Lucretia, 1793-1880 1
- Parke, Thomas, 1749-1835 1
- Pastorius, Francis Daniel, 1651-1719 1
- Pemberton, James, 1723-1809 1
- Penn, Hannah Callowhill, 1671-1726 1
- Penn, Thomas, 1702-1775 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1837-1850) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Committee Appointed for the Gradual Civilization and Welfare of the Indian Natives (1795-1827) 1
- Post, Christian Frederick, 1710?-1785 1
- Relief Missions of the Society of Friends 1
- Richardson, Thomas, 1816-1867 1
- Rickman, Lydia Cooper Lewis, -1885 1
- Savery, William, 1750-1804 1
- Stirling, Anne Biddle, -1857 1
- Teedyuscung, Delaware chief, 1700-1763 1
- Tolles, Frederick Barnes, 1915-1975 1
- Westtown Boarding School 1
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. Congress (1st : 1915) (The Hague, Netherlands) 1
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. Geneva, Switzerland (International Office) 1
- Woolman School (Swarthmore, Pa.) 1 ∧ less