Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview This collection contains the correspondence and writings of Dean Freiday (b. 1915), a Quaker writer and theologian. The papers reflect his wide range of activities in numerous Christian church groups and discussion groups. The correspondence includes leading Friends, such as Arthur Roberts, Douglas Steere, and Larry Miller. His writings on topics specific to the Society of Friends and interfaith issues of ecumenism, ecclesiology, and the sacraments.
Overview Founded in 1900, when Hicksite yearly meetings joined together, the FGC is dedicated to holding annual meetings intended to nurture Quaker faith, practice, and inclusivity. In this collection, dated from 1894 to 1997, the yearly FGC meetings are photographed and presented in loose black and white and color photographs that show conference attendees and locations.
Dates: 1894 - 1997
Overview Friends General Conference is a Quaker organization in the unprogrammed tradition of the Religious Society of Friends which primarily serves affiliated yearly and monthly meetings. For additional information about Friends General Conference, please consult their web site: http://www.fgcquaker.org/info/
Overview This collection includes rolled panoramic photos, mostly Quaker conferences, including New York Yearly Meeting (NYYM), Friends General Conference (FGC), Friends World Conference, Young Friends Conference, and more.
Dates: 1911 - 1967
Overview Hadassah M.L. Holcombe (1891-1978) was a Quaker educator who was a co-founder of the Friends Council of Education and served as Secretary of the Friends General Conference and Chairman of the Committee on Education of the Friends World Conference. Hadassah Holcombe taught mathematics at the Germantown Friends School for ten years, and, in addition to her other activities, served on the Boards of Swarthmore College, Antioch, George School, Sidwell Friends, and Haverford College. The collection...
Overview The planning committee for the Quaker Lesbian Conference emerged out discussions in the 1970s focused on Quaker gay and lesbian concerns. The first Quaker Lesbian Conference met in 1977 "to provide a loving time and space in which Quakers and others familiar with Quakerism who are lesbian, bi-sexual, or moving towards those identities could meet in a shared environment," according to an early statement. The planning committee organized annual conferences from 1977 to 2009, mostly located in the...
Overview Bonnie Tinker (1948-2009) was a Quaker social activist who campaigned for peace and gay and lesbian right. This collection contains drafts and correspondences concerning the movie "Love Makes a Family" (1992) produced by Bonnie Tinker. The collection also contains personal papers, fundraising for the project, and reference material on non-traditional forms of family.
Overview Bliss Forbush (1896-1987), Quaker educator, administrator, and author, was born in 1896 and died in 1987. Bliss Forbush served as a member of the American Section of the World Council of Churches, 1941-1951, representing Friends General Conference and as a delegate to the first Assembly of the World Council of Churches in 1948. This collection contains primarily minutes, leaflets, and articles printed in Quaker and other periodicals, relating to the World Council of Churches and possible...
- Gay parents -- United States 2
- Homosexuality -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 2
- Lesbian mothers -- United States 2
- Peace -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 2
- Quakers -- Societies, etc. 2
- Society of Friends -- Education 2
- Capital Punishment -- Religious Aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Christian Education 1
- Church -- Unity 1
- Church and social problems -- Society of Friends 1
- Church group work with teenagers -- Society of Friends 1
- Church group work with youth -- Society of Friends 1
- Ecumenical movement 1
- Eschatology 1
- Homosexuality -- History -- 20th century 1
- Interdenominational cooperation 1
- Lay ministry 1
- Lesbianism -- Religious aspects 1
- Quaker authors 1
- Quaker women -- Education 1
- Quaker youth 1
- Quakers -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Education -- Congresses 1
- Quakers -- New Jersey 1
- Quakers -- Oregon 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Social service 1
- Social service -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Society of Friends -- Adult education 1
- Society of Friends -- Congresses 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 20th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Sacraments 1
- Sunday schools 1 ∧ less