Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview Elias Hicks (1748-1830) was an eminent Quaker minister from Jericho, Long Island, N.Y. In the 1820s, a religious controversy within the Society of Friends which focused on Hicks' ministry led to the Hicksite-Orthodox Separation of 1827-1828. The collection includes correspondence written and received by Elias Hicks, sermons, surveyor's drawings, family correspondence, and other papers. Also includes the original 1748-1822 manuscript journal of Elias Hicks (in three parts) and the 1828 Ohio...
Dates: 1779 - 1948; Majority of material found within 1779 - 1830
Overview The Jackson-Conard Family Papers include correspondence and other manuscripts of the Jackson and Conard families of London Grove Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania. The primary recipients are William Jackson (1746-1834), a Quaker minister, and his nephew, William Jackson (1789-1864), who served a single term in the Pennsylvania State Senate and was active in the anti-slavery movement.
Overview Halliday Jackson (1771-1835) was a Quaker minister from New Garden and Darby, Pa.. From 1798 to 1800 he joined the Quaker mission to the Seneca Indians organized by the Indian Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Shortly after his return from the mission to the Seneca, Halliday Jackson married Jane Hough and moved to Darby, Pa. Following Jane's death in 1830, Halliday Jackson remarried in 1833 to Ann P. Paschall (1792-1874), also a Quaker minister. These records contain documents relating...
Abstract This collection centers on the correspodence and family history of the Garrigues family and the Price family, to whom the former were linked with the marriage of Edward Garrigues and Margaret Price. The correspondence, received by Edward Garrigues, is from many prominent Quaker ministers, including Isaac Hicks as he travelled with his cousin, Elias Hicks. Other correspondents include Rebecca Jones, Sarah Scattergood, Stephen Grellet, Charity Cook, Deborah Darby, and Martha Routh. The letters...
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 2
- Gardening 1
- Hicksites -- 19th century 1
- Indians of North America -- New York (State) 1
- Lay ministry -- Pennsylvania -- Chester County 1
- Legislators -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) 1
- Quakers -- Ohio 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Chester County 1
- Quakers -- Relations with Indians 1
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Quakers in public life 1
- Seneca Indians 1
- Sermons, American 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines -- History -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- Missions 1
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) 1
- Society of Friends -- Ohio 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania 1
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 1
- Spirituality -- Society of Friends 1 ∧ less