Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Overview Eleanor Stabler Clarke (1896-1995), a birthright Quaker, was active in the American Friends Service Committee and other Quaker organizations, and served on the Swarthmore College Board of Managers from 1935-1971. She was the daughter of Charles M. and Ida Palmer Stabler, and in 1918 she married William Anderson Clarke, Sr. Her sister, Cornelia Stabler Gillam (1898-1979) was active in the theater and performed for the U.S.O. in 1945 and 1946. The collection includes a genealogy with stories and...
Overview This collection consists of a family album of cartes de visite depicting prominent Friends and members of various Quaker families. The album seemed to belong to William Webster, whose family immigrated to Woodbridge, New Jersey circa 1685 and who helped in the development of Plainfield, New Jersey and the Plainfield Meeting House in the late 1700s.
Dates: 1870 - 1890
Overview The Palmer brothers belonged to a Quaker family of Concord Monthly Meeting, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Three sons of William W. and Hannah Trimble Palmer, all birthright Quakers, served in the Union Army during the Civil War. This collection contains fifty letters and transcriptions of the same, written to family members by Quaker brothers, John, William T., and Edward L. Palmer during their service in the Union army. Letters from John Palmer also describe his post-military service...
Overview Charles Palmer (1863-1966) was a Quaker teacher, lawyer, and real estate broker from Chester, Pennsylvania. The collection includes family correspondence, including that of Palmer as a student at Swarthmore College, diaries of Palmer's father, Lewis Palmer (1837-1917), mother, Hannah H. Palmer (1836-1917), and other family members in Chester and Delaware counties, Pa., account books, business and legal papers, essays, poetry, clippings, memorabilia, and other papers. Includes material relating...
Overview The Palmer family was a Hicksite Quaker family who settled in Bucks County, PA, but who were also active in Delaware County, especially as several family members attended Swarthmore College. Dating from the 1880s to the 1890s, this collections consists of cabinet cards and cartes de visite that depict members of the Palmer family as well as family relatives or friends.
Overview The Palmer family was a Quaker family descended from John and Christian Palmer, who settled in Bucks County, Pennsylvania., in 1683. Sarah M. Fell (1824-1911), who compiled the genealogy, was a Hicksite Quaker from Wilmington, Delaware, and a Palmer descendent. The collection contains a family genealogy compiled by Sarah Moore Fell (1822-1911) in 1898, pictures, and an accompanying index compiled in 1966. The collection also contains some Bucks County property records including deeds and legal...
Dates: 1722-1966 [bulk 1898}
Overview Sarah Hopper Palmer (1796-1885) was the eldest child of Isaac T. Hopper (1771-1852), noted Hicksite Quaker abolitionist and social reformer. The collection was apparently compiled as a basis for Lydia Maria Child's Life of Isaac T. Hopper, which was first published in 1853. The original manuscript of the published book is included in the collection. The collection contains material on the Palmer, Hunn and Jenkins families, family correspondence, legal and...
- genealogies (histories) 3
- Pennsylvania -- History -- Sources 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 2
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania -- Swarthmore 2
- Abolitionists 1
- Bucks County (Pa.) -- Genealogy 1
- Bucks County (Pa.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Chester (Pa.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Chester County (Pa.) -- History -- Sources 1
- College students -- Pennsylvania 1
- Genealogists 1
- Pennsylvania -- Genealogy 1
- Poetry 1
- Prison reform -- Society of Friends 1
- Prohibition -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quaker abolitionists 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Bucks County 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- West Chester 1
- Quakers -- Virginia 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Military service 1
- Society of Friends -- United States 1
- Temperance -- Pennsylvania 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania 1
- deeds 1
- diaries 1 ∧ less