Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Morgan Bunting (1863-1929) was a member of the Society of Friends in Darby, Pa., and a descendant of Samuel Bunting (1692-1759) who emigrated from England in the early eighteenth century. An architect by occupation, Bunting had an avid interest in Darby history and genealogy. The collection includes correspondence and genealogical papers concerning the Sellers, Cadwallader, Bartram, and Coleman families. There are also some original documents concerning the Bunting family, including deeds,...
Dates: ca. 1710-1938
Overview The Burr Collection includes manuscripts which document the Hicksite position during the Separation of 1827/28 in Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and the trial over the Crosswicks School Fund. It is directly related to the Southard Papers/RG5/312, which contain a more complete description of the controversy. It also includes Burr's manuscript on the History of the Society of Friends which he compiled for Southard as background in preparing his case representing the Hicksite position.
Dates: 1822 - 1836
Overview Elias Hicks (1748-1830) was an eminent Quaker minister from Jericho, Long Island, N.Y. In the 1820s, a religious controversy within the Society of Friends which focused on Hicks' ministry led to the Hicksite-Orthodox Separation of 1827-1828. The collection includes correspondence written and received by Elias Hicks, sermons, surveyor's drawings, family correspondence, and other papers. Also includes the original 1748-1822 manuscript journal of Elias Hicks (in three parts) and the 1828 Ohio...
Dates: 1779 - 1948; Majority of material found within 1779 - 1830
Overview The collection contains correspondence, journals and other writings, business and legal papers, and miscellaneous items of the Ferris family of Wilmington, Delaware, a prominent Quaker family. Of particular note are the correspondence and writings of Benjamin Ferris concerning the Separation in the Society of Friends, as well as the journals and diaries of Anna M. Ferris, David Ferris, Matilda Ferris, Benjamin Ferris, and Henry Ferris. Correspondents include William Lloyd Garrison, William...
Overview Halliday Jackson (1771-1835) was a Quaker minister from New Garden and Darby, Pa.. From 1798 to 1800 he joined the Quaker mission to the Seneca Indians organized by the Indian Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Shortly after his return from the mission to the Seneca, Halliday Jackson married Jane Hough and moved to Darby, Pa. Following Jane's death in 1830, Halliday Jackson remarried in 1833 to Ann P. Paschall (1792-1874), also a Quaker minister. These records contain documents relating...
Abstract This collection includes photocopies and typed transcripts of letters from William Poole to his relation, Benjamin Ferris. The letters primarily concern the Letters of Paul and Amicus, by Primitive Friend, Elizabeth Gilbert, and Poole's views on the issues of Quaker doctrine, including the divinity of Christ and baptism. Poole also relates his opinions on Elias Hicks and the developing controversy in New York.
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 4
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 3
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 3
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 2
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Baptism -- Society of Friends 1
- Hicksites -- 19th century 1
- Indians of North America -- New York (State) 1
- Peace -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Quaker abolitionists 1
- Quaker social reformers 1
- Quakers -- Delaware 1
- Quakers -- Delaware -- Wilmington 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Genealogy 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) 1
- Quakers -- Ohio 1
- Quakers -- Relations with Indians 1
- Seneca Indians 1
- Sermons, American 1
- Slavery -- United States 1
- Social reform 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines -- History -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) 1
- Society of Friends -- Ohio 1
- Society of Friends -- Peace testimony 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania 1
- account books 1
- genealogies (histories) 1 ∧ less