Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Overview Mariana Wright Chapman was a prominant New York Quaker suffragist. The collection includes correspondence received while she was active in suffrage activities in New York State, 1893-1900, family letters, particularly between Mariana and her husband, Noah, and the correspondence of the Wrights, the Chapmans, and of her son, A.Wright Chapman. The collection also includes Mariana's journals from 1895-1900, that of Caroline Willets, 1842-1846, and as well as suffrage memorabilia, family copybooks...
Dates: 1808-1983 (bulk: 1842-1911)
Abstract Minutes, 1869-1872, of Friends' Social Union, New York City. Aaron M. Powell was one of the early chairmen, and Maria Mitchell included in the speakers. One of the group's continuing concerns was the plight of the American Indians.
Overview Records of the Friends Temperance Union of New York, a Quaker organization which promoted abstinence from all alcohol. It was founded in 1876 and ceased to meet after 5/1898. Includes Minutes, Executive Committee minutes, a Treasurer's book, and miscellaneous papers.
Overview Dr. O. Edward Janney was a prominent Quaker doctor from Baltimore who was active in many of the social reform movements of his time. He worked with the Society for the Suppression of Vice in Baltimore and labored in the causes of temperance, woman suffrage, inter-racial relations, peace, and other reforms. In 1907, Dr. Janney gave up the practice of medicine to devote his energies full time to reform activities. The collection contains correspondence (1874-1945), diary (1914), memoirs,...
Overview Aaron M. (Aaron Macy) Powell, 1832-1899, was a Quaker social reformer. The collection contains correspondence, much of it letters of condolence following the death (1867) of Powell's daughter Elizabeth, biographical materials and tributes, and mss. of his biographies of George Fox and Wendell Phillips.
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 3
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 2
- Abolitionists 1
- Charities -- Maryland -- Baltimore 1
- Children -- Health and hygiene -- History 1
- Church work with Indians -- Society of Friends 1
- Corporate minutes 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Quaker abolitionists 1
- Quakers -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Maryland -- Baltimore 1
- Quakers -- New Jersey 1
- Quakers -- Societies, etc. 1
- Quakers -- United States 1
- Sex Instruction for Children -- History 1
- Social reformers -- United States 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Temperance 1
- Temperance -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Temperance and religion -- Society of Friends 1
- Women -- Suffrage 1
- biographies (documents) 1 ∧ less