Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Overview William Baxter (1824-1886) was a Quaker businessman who lived in Wayne County, Indiana, and was active in social reform, particularly in the temperance movement. The collection includes correspondence of William and his wife, Mary Baxter (1830-1918), business papers, essays and speeches on temperance and other social reforms, family memorabilia, and miscellaneous materials.
Overview William Z. Shetter (b. 1927) is Professor of Germanic Studies at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana. He is an active member of the Society of Friends, and served as clerk of Bloomington Monthly Meeting for two terms, 1982-1985 and 1992-1995. During his first tenure as clerk, he kept a detailed personal journal, recording all that was going on in the Meeting as well as his thoughts and perceptions. During his second tenure, the Meeting decided to take under its care the marriage of a same...
Overview Howard J. Bourne (b. ca. 1890, d. ca. 1963) was a Quaker author from Portland, Indiana, who wrote for Friends Intelligencer and Friends Journal. The collection contains correspondence and writings, many relating to Quakers. Correspondents include Francis Bowditch, Teresina R. Havens, Willard Heiss, Jane P. Rushmore, and J. Barnard Walton.
Overview The Coffin family were Quakers of Wayne County, Indiana. Elijah Coffin was born in 1793 in Guilford County, N.C., the son of Bethuel and Hannah Dicks Coffin. His son and daughter-in-law, Charles F. and Rhoda M. Coffin were active in the peace movement, prison reform, reform of the treatment of the insane, and the temperance movement. Father and son both served as Clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting. The collection contains family correspondence, journals, business papers, and miscellaneous...
Overview The Coffin family were Quakers of Wayne County, Indiana. Elijah Coffin was born in 1793 in Guilford County, N.C., the son of Bethuel and Hannah Dicks Coffin. His son and daughter-in-law, Charles F. and Rhoda M. Coffin were active in the peace movement, prison reform, reform of the treatment of the insane, and the temperance movement. Father and son both served as Clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting. This collection contains family portrait albums and films and Kodax of family homes.
Dates: 1850 - 1916
Abstract This collection includes the correspondence, in original and typescript copy, of Hannah Francisco and others of her family. The letters primarily concern family matters, with some discussion by Rowland Reece about the state of Howard Orphan asylum with which he was involved. Other correspondents include Joseph and Esther Dickinson, and Miriam Maxwell. Also included are genealogical notes on the Dickinson family.
Abstract This collection includes personal correspondence between Rebecca J. Edwards and her family. Correspondents include Griffith Edwards, Joseph Johnson, and Benjamin Johnson.
Abstract This collection includes papers of E. Raymond Wilson concerning the 1935 Five Years Meeting, and in particular the development of a statement of the Peace testimony. Also included is information on a peace training camp at Quaker Hill, NY, in 1940.
Overview Elizabeth A.W. (Betty) Furnas was an active member of the Society of Friends who served as a member of the Board of Pendle Hill and was a member of the Women's Problems Group of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and its sucessor, Philadelphia Quaker Women. The collection includes minutes and correspondence, particularly of the latter, as well as published and unpublished writings and other material.
Abstract This collection includes wills and deeds of Robert Hill and pages from a family record which document the births and deaths of the Hill, Shaw, and Wright families.
- American Friends Service Committee 3
- Coffin family 3
- Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox: 1828- ) 3
- Coffin, Charles F. (Charles Fisher), 1823-1916 2
- Coffin, Elijah, 1798-1862 2
- Coffin, Rhoda M., 1826-1909 2
- Hill family 2
- Shaw family 2
- Baxter family 1
- Baxter, Mary, 1830-1918 1
- Baxter, William, 1824-1886 1
- Bloomington Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Bloomington, Ind.) 1
- Bourne, Howard J. 1
- Bowditch, Francis, -1912 1
- Cincinnati Book Association of Friends 1
- Coffin, Percival Brooks, 1865-1935 1
- Dickinson family 1
- Dickinson, Esther G., 1816-1891 1
- Dickinson, Joseph, 1820-1895 1
- Earlham College 1
- Edgerton, Thomas, 1823?-1847 1
- Edwards, Benjamin Johnson, 1822- 1
- Edwards, Griffith, -1836 1
- Edwards, Rebecca J. ((Rebecca Johnson)), 1802-1884 1
- Five Years Meeting (Society of Friends: U.S.) 1
- Fletcher family 1
- Forster, Josiah, 1782-1870 1
- Francisco, Hannah, 1845-1931 1
- Furnas, Elizabeth A. W. (Elizabeth Ann Walter), 1900-1972 1
- Furnas, Paul J. 1
- Havens, Teresina R. 1
- Heiss, Willard C. 1
- Hiatt, Benajah, 1773-1847 1
- Hiatt, Mordecai (Rhoda Moorman), 1799-1873 1
- Hill, Robert, 1780-1850 1
- Howard Orphan Asylum 1
- Indiana University 1
- Johnson, Joseph, 1770?-1855 1
- Jones, Rufus M. (Rufus Matthew), 1863-1948 1
- Kirk, Israel, 1810-1841 1
- Kirk, Thomas, 1781-1867 1
- Maxwell, Miriam A. (Miriam Allinson), 1821- 1
- Moore family 1
- Nixon family 1
- Pendle Hill (School: Wallingford, Pa.) 1
- Philadelphia Quaker Women (Organization) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- Reece, Rowland T., 1822-1878 1
- Rushmore, Jane P. (Jane Peter), 1864-1958 1
- Shetter, William Z. 1
- Shillitoe, Thomas, 1754-1836 1
- Swarthmore College 1
- Trueblood, Elwood, 1833-1911 1
- Turner, Catherine, 1910-1999 1
- Turner, Howard Haines, 1909- 1
- Votaw, Albert H. (Albert Hiatt), 1850-1931 1
- Votaw, Ernest, 1894-1988 1
- Walton, J. Barnard (Joseph Barnard), 1885-1963 1
- Wayne County (Ind.) 1
- Westtown Boarding School 1
- White family 1
- White, Aaron, 1793-1863 1
- White, Margaret, 1979-1854 1
- Williamson, Lawrence H. (Lawrence Hezekia), 1893-1963 1
- Wilson, E. Raymond (Edward Raymond), 1896-1987 1
- Women's Problems Group (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
- Wright family 1 ∧ less