Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Overview English and American Quakers were involved in relief efforts in Europe during and after WWI. These efforts were begun by English Quakers of London Yearly Meeting, and later joined by the American Friends Service Committee. They expanded the scope of their aid from France to also include Russia, Serbia, Poland, Austria, and Germany. The lantern slides in this collection were taken during these relief efforts and, along with lecture notes, sent back home to Friends groups who would use the slides...
Dates: 1914 - 1922
Overview This collection contains the papers of Philadelphia Quaker Owen Biddle (1737-1799), his son, Clement Biddle (1778-1856), and numerous descendants. Owen Biddle, a scientist and merchant, was a member of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting and helped in the establishment of Westtown School (1799). Owen Biddle's papers, 1772-1793, (Series 1) include correspondence, and journals, some of which relate to his Revolutionary War activities. Three of his letterbooks, 1778-1779, have been microfilmed. The...
Overview The Kite and Bassett families were Orthodox Quakers from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Lynn, Massachusetts, respectively. James Kite was born in 1808, the son of Benjamin and Rebecca Kite of Philadelphia. In 1837 he was granted a certificate to Salem Monthly Meeting in Massachusetts to marry Lydia B. Rodman, widow of Caleb Rodman and daughter of Isaac and Ruth Bassett of Lynn. James and Lydia had eight children, viz. Ruth, James Rodman, Eliza B., Rebecca, Isaac C. Bassett, Hannah B., Lydia...
Overview Emma Chandler MacClelland was a Quaker who was involved in relief work in France during World War I with the American Friends Service Committee. She was born in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in 1895, and married Lee H. MacClelland after her return from France. She was a member of Reading Monthly Meeting at the time of her death in 1965. The collection contains correspondence of Emma Chandler MacClelland during the period, 1918-1919, in which she did relief work in France. Details her activities...
Overview E. Carlton MacDowell (Edwin Carlton) (1887-1973) was a Quaker zoologist and relief worker. The collection contains correspondence, minutes, reports, memorabilia, pictures and other papers, relating to MacDowell's involvement in Quaker relief activities in France during and after World War I. Includes material relating to American Friends Service Committee's Reconstruction Unit and Message Committee, Berlin Centre Committee, and Friends Council for International Service.
Overview Robert Hoopes Maris (1890-1975) was a Quaker dentist who served with the American Friends Service Committee in France after World War I.. The collection contains chiefly correspondence with his family written while Maris was serving as a dentist with American Friends Service Committee in France after World War I. Also a photograph album and other papers.
Overview William Webb Price (1892-1961) was a Quaker architect, teacher, and actor, of Rose Valley, Pennsylvania. The collection contains chiefly letters written by Price to his family while serving with Friends War Victims Relief Committee in France during and shortly after World War I; together with reports, financial papers, memorabilia, and printed material relating to Quaker reconstruction activities in France.
Overview Wilmer J. Young (1887-1983), a Quaker teacher and peace activist born in Iowa, was involved in post World War I reconstruction in France and Poland. He married Mildred Binns in 1922, and together they worked with AFSC work camps and cooperative farms until he began to teach at Pendle Hill in 1955. The collection contains primarily journals and correspondence from his time in France.
Overview Wilmer J. Young (1887-1983), a Quaker teacher and peace activist born in Iowa, was involved in post World War I reconstruction in France and Poland. He married Mildred Binns in 1922, and together they worked with AFSC work camps and cooperative farms until he began to teach at Pendle Hill in 1955. This collection of photographs documents their work and personal life.
Dates: 1918 - 1990
- American Friends Service Committee 7
- Delta Cooperative Farm Project (Hillhouse, Miss.) 2
- Pendle Hill (School: Wallingford, Pa.) 2
- Young, Mildred Binns 2
- Young, Wilmer J. 2
- American Friends Reconstruction Unit 1
- American Friends Service Committee. Message Committee 1
- Balch, Emily Greene, 1867-1961 1
- Bassett, Hannah, 1815-1855 1
- Bassett, Ruth, d. 1860 1
- Bassett, William, 1803-1871 1
- Berlin Centre Committee 1
- Biddle family 1
- Biddle, Clement M. (Clement Miller), 1876-1959 1
- Biddle, Owen, 1737-1799 1
- Biddle, William Canby, 1864-1942 1
- Boyce, Eliza B. (Eliza Bassett), 1807-1882 1
- Boyce, Eunice B. (Eunice Bassett), 1811-1864 1
- Council for International Service 1
- E. Carlton (Edwin Carlton) MacDowell (1887-1973) 1
- Friends' War Victims' Relief Committee (London, England) 1
- Haverford College 1
- Hoffman, Ruth McCollin, b. 1890 1
- Hollingsworth, H. (Henry), 1737-1803 1
- James, Dorothy Biddle 1
- Kite, Abbie, 1851-1919 1
- Kite, James R. (James Rodman), 1840-1908 1
- Kite, James, 1808-1856 1
- Kite, Lydia B. (Lydia Bassett), 1813-1872 1
- Lewis, Lucy Biddle, 1861- 1
- MacClelland, Emma Chandler, 1892-1965 1
- MacDowell, E. Carleton (Edwin Carlton), 1887-1973 1
- Maris family 1
- Masters, Rebecca K. (Rebecca Kite), 1843-1895 1
- Mifflin, Thomas, 1744-1800 1
- Newhall, Anna G. (Anna Greene), fld 1824-1863 1
- Parke, Thomas, 1749-1835 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox: 1827-1955) 1
- Price, William Webb, 1892-1961 1
- Relief Missions of the Society of Friends 1
- Richardson, Thomas, 1816-1867 1
- Rickman, Lydia Cooper Lewis, -1885 1
- Robert Hoopes Maris (1890-1975) 1
- Smedley, Jacob, 1835-1893 1
- Smedley, Ruth K. (Ruth Kite), 1838-1914 1
- Stirling, Anne Biddle, -1857 1
- Swarthmore College 1
- Westtown Boarding School 1
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. Congress (1st : 1915) (The Hague, Netherlands) 1
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. Geneva, Switzerland (International Office) 1
- Woolman School (Swarthmore, Pa.) 1 ∧ less