Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

Association for the Care of Colored Orphans Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-008
Overview The Association for the Care of Colored Orphans, also known as “The Shelter,” was founded in Philadelphia by Quaker women in 1822 to care for black orphans, both boys and girls, within a nurturing, home-like environment. In 1915, it relocated to Cheyney, Pa, and became a home for girls. In 1965, its name was changed to “Friends Shelter for Girls,” and its mission evolved to serve as a home for teenaged girls. In 1981 it ceased to function as a group home and was succeeded by Friends Association...
Dates: 1822-1979

Collection of Bringhurst Family Correspondence

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-MSS-046
Overview Contains the collected correspondence of the Bringhurst family, largely compiled by C. Marshall Taylor. It includes correspondence, 1780-1806, of Philadelphia Quaker businessman James Bringhurst and his letters received from John Murray of New York City. Bringhurst corresponded with family and prominent friends including John Dickinson, Job Scott, Nathan Hunt, James Pemberton, Jesse Kersey, Lindley Murray and Moses Brown. Of particular interest are descriptions of life in Philadelphia and the...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1780 - 1811; 1780 - 1941

Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-044
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Dates: 1859-1907

Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys (Cheyney, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-043
Overview Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.
Dates: 1855-1956

Filtered By

  • Subject: African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
African American children -- Education -- Pennsylvania 3
African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 3
African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Population 3
African Americans -- Services for -- Pennsylvania 3
Charities -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 3
∨ more  
Names
Association for the Care of Coloured Orphans (Cheyney, Pa.) 2
Bringhurst, James, 1730-1810 1
Bringhurst, Joseph, 1733-1811 1
Brown, Moses, 1738-1836 1
Dickinson, John, 1732-1808 1