Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Overview Records deal with the work of Friends in running mission stations in Oklahoma among the Iowa, Modoc, Kickapoo, Oto, Shawnee, Osage and other Native Americans. Letters from superintendents and missionaries in the field describe the difficulties and experiences of Friends in their work. Topics discussed include attempts to Christianize the Native Americans, improve living conditions, Native American education, use of peyote and alcohol, disease, Native American dances, conflicts with other...
Overview Journal entries describe Pugh's travel from St. Louis, Missouri, to Lawrence, Kansas, Quaker meetings attended, meetings with "Indian agents" and officials, and visits to tribes and make payments.
- Cherokee Indians 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Modoc Indians -- History 1
- Oto Indians -- History 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 1
- Kelsey, Rayner Wickersham 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- Pugh, Achilles 1